Wednesday, December 22, 2010

‘Tis the Season

I like your Christ,

I do not like your Christians.

Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

~Mohandas Gandhi

At the beginning of October, Artistry of Male, one of my favorite blogs, not only for it’s beautiful pictures of men, but also for his words of inspiration, wrote a post about his faith, titled, “Another Disclosure - My Religion: AOM SoulFood.”  I hope you will read his statement.  It is very close to my own philosophy on religion.  I may lose some readers for my religious leanings in the following posts, but please remember that I am not proselytizing, merely stating my faith and showing that someone can be devoutly Christian and be gay.  Not all people see Christianity and homosexuality as two things that can coexist, but I am here to tell you that they can.  In this season of giving, fellowship, and peace, please remember what the angels said to the shepherds as they watched their flock on the day of Christ’s birth, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.” (Luke 2:14)

I am a devout Christian.  Some of you may recognize the following as the Nicene Creed:



I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages;
Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten, not created, of one essence with the Father through Whom all things were made.
Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man.
He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried;
And He rose on the third day, according to the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father;
And He will come again with glory to judge the living and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.
And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life, Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, Who spoke through the prophets.
In one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.
I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
I look for the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the age to come.
Amen
This is a profession of faith.  My particular “denomination” of Christianity does not recite the Nicene Creed.  We simply have our faith in the Holy Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.  For me, I believe that if you follow the basic tenements of all faiths Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you, then you will be rewarded in the next life, whether that life is a an eternity in Heaven, reincarnation, reaching moksha or other form of enlightenment, or being forever remembered by your ancestors.  In America we are blessed to live in a country where we are all free to worship our own faith, or no faith at all.

I am writing this post because often I am irreverent (sometimes borderline sacrilegious), especially in my other blog, but I have no doubt about my faith in God.  I strive everyday to treat those around me the way in which I would like to be treated.  I teach my students that intolerance is unacceptable in any form.

What I am about to say is not because I believe I am a messenger from God, merely his humble servant.  When God has sent messengers to earth, he has used some of the most humble of humans.  The young man Joseph sold into slavery in Egypt, who God sent to interpret the dreams of the Pharaoh.  The shepherds who in the fields as they watched their sheep who were told of the birth of Christ.  There are many more examples, just remember that messages can come from the most unlikely places.

5 comments:

jaygeemmm said...

This so closely mirrors my own feelings it's eerie!

Merry Christmas, Joe!
Peace <3
Jay

JoeBlow said...

Jay, I guess that means that great minds think a like. I know I have a simple version of Christianity, but I never have believed that Jesus wanted it to be as complicated as some people want us to believe. Thanks for you support and Merry Christmas, Jay.

fan of casey said...

Joe: No doubt others will disagree with me, but you give Christianity a good name.

Anonymous said...

I'm not religious and consider myself a skeptic, I was raised strictly as a Jehovah's' Witness. In that religion the bible is constantly used, read and referenced. One thing that I know as a fact is that Jesus Christ never preached against homosexuality. Christians that preach otherwise are worst off then what they think of what is going to happen to homos' because they turn people away which is against Christ example.

JoeBlow said...

FOC: Thanks. I do my best.

Anon: I was raised pretty strictly Christian, but the more I study it, the more I feel that most people interpret Christianity too often in a negative way, not in a positive way. You are absolutely right, Christ only talked about love, never hate, and he certainly never mentioned homosexuality.