Friday, August 12, 2011

LOL


This cartoon really did make me laugh out loud, and I thought I would share it with you guys.  At 3pm today, my first week back teaching will be over.  So far, it has been a good week; I am enjoying my students much better this year, since some of my trouble students have either graduated or moved on to grades that I don't teach.  I am going to do my best to make sure that this continues to be a good year.  I want my positivity to rub off on my students.

I have to apologize for not answering comments yet.  This has been a busy week, but I will get to the comments this weekend.  I prefer to answer all comments.  I love your comments and discussions on this blog, so I like to respond to the comments to show my appreciation.  I read all of my comments, and I do eventually respond to all of them.

Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

Jacob Woods said...

haha, that is basically the essence of Google. The sad thing is, a lot of the older generation, especially the rednecks in which my mother's side of the family ails, has internet access, but never uses it to expand the things they want to know more about. I hear my uncle always say, "What I really want to know is. . ." I say, let's go look it up on Google!

Writer said...

That is hilarious. Makes me miss my World Book Encylopedia. :)

brotherdoc said...

Well, it's a cute cartoon and maybe it says what people who only use Google for research think, but hey, even many small towns have or had public libraries (and maybe helpful librarians) where you could go look stuff up. I know, because when I was coming to terms with being gay as an adolescent (long before Google was anything but a baby's noise) I found all kinds of neat reading there. One of the most eye-opening was the book _21 variations on a theme_, short stories collected by Donald Webster Cory (name turns out to be a pseudonym)-- about Gay/Lesbian relationships, encounters and experiences, often by well-known writers. Many of the stories of course ended badly (book was published in 1953) but the fact that well known authors like Guy de Maupassant, Stefan Zweig, D.H. Lawrence, Henry James, and several others had treated the subject sensitively and thoughtfully made a strong impression on me. AND I found the book at the public library (I later bought a used copy and you can read more about "Cory" by Googling his name...!

Joe said...

Jacob, Google is a wonderful tool, and with it on my cellphone I can look up anything at anytime.

Writer, I remember when I was younger and would go look something up in the World Book and could get lost for hours. I'd find what I wanted but see something else along the way, which would lead to something else, etc. I still do that with Wikipedia (thank God for tabs in my internet browser, it's as good as a bookmark in the World Book Encyclopedia.

Brotherdoc, I completely agree with you. As a historian, ie professional researcher, I can get lost in a library or archives. Just like with the World Book, one source leads to another. I have found a lot of great books by looking for one in particular, and finding something nearby that is just as interesting. AH, the dewey decimal system.