Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Good Foundation


"Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you? Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great."
Luke 6:46-49

Sunday two weeks ago (I was sick last weekend), we looked at two of the problems that face us as people who have eaten from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.  The first problem is that even though we are "like God" in our ability to know right from wrong, we don't always know what the best thing is to do.  Sometimes we simply do bad things, knowing they're bad.  But, more often, we try to do good, and it turns out for evil, because our perspective is too small.

In the above passage of scripture, Jesus tells us how he can help us with that problem.  The earliest disciples gathered around Jesus because they recognized him as a teacher of God's wisdom.  In the Gospel of John, we are told they thought of him as God's Word made flesh--Holy Wisdom in human form.

Today, we can read Jesus' teachings and find the same wisdom in them that his earliest followers did.  Thanks to the writers of the Gospels, we can be Jesus' disciples and he can be our teacher, even in the 21st century.  This is how Jesus helps us with one of the big dilemmas of having eaten for the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

Instead of being stuck with our own small wisdom, we can build on the foundations of Jesus' teachings.  We can become wise people, who build our houses on rock.  A house built on rock is more likely to be built well, and the same is true of our lives.  If we build our lives on the rock of Christ's teachings, we will more consistently do good instead of evil, and our lives will be sturdier.

I'm not implying that studying Jesus' teachings is the only way to know how to do good more consistently.  There are other teachers who taught us right from wrong.  The Gospels are only 4 of the 66 books of the Bible, and God has given us other wise people to whom we should pay attention.  However, listening to Jesus gives us a good foundation to build upon.

Many in the LGBT community, turn away from God because their congregation or people claiming to be Christians rejected them.  I think one of the greatest things my parents did was to raise me in a loving church community.  Not all churches of Christ are as loving and as accepting as mine was.  I'm really not for sure how accepting they would be if they knew I am gay; however, with the love I have seen in my church, I think most members of my church would accept it.  They certainly would not ask for me to leave the church.  I was taught a good foundation for my faith, and I believe that it is that foundation that has kept my faith strong and unwavering.

Sent from my iPad

No comments: