Tuesday, January 7, 2014

In Need of Your Prayers


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7
I can't help but be anxious at the moment, and I fear my prayers alone will not be enough.  I am asking for your prayers as well.  My aunt who has been in the hospital for weeks with ARDS has been having improvements and setbacks.  Her health has been a bit of a roller coaster, and I'm not sure how things are going to end up.  My mother and the rest of my aunt's immediate family are being called in this afternoon at 2:30 to speak with the doctor.  We do not know if this is good news, bad news, or no news at all.  All we can do is pray and hope that my aunt will either respond to the treatments better or they have a better treatment to offer.  I just don't know, so I need your prayers.

HRH also desperately needs your prayers.  I just returned from another vet visit.  She has not been able to urinate at all, so I called the vet last night and he said to bring her in first thing this morning.  Because she is female it is unlikely that she has blockage which could be fatal (that mostly occurs with males).  They were able to get some urine (and sorry if this is TMI), and found no red blood cells, though way too many white blood cells.  The infection has not responded to the treatments or antibiotics she has received.  Therefore, he feels he needs to be more aggressive and run more tests.  The two good things are that there is no visible tumor in the bladder or red blood cells in the urine, which most likely rules out cancer (though not completely because a tumor might be flat and surrounding the bladder).  He will give her IV fluids to help flush out her bladder and inject her with antibiotics.  Once they can fill the bladder, they will draw urine directly from the bladder to get an us contaminated sample to send off (hopefully to Auburn University, one of the nation's best veterinarian schools) to be further tested.  The vet's office will be keeping her for these more aggressive treatments probably until Friday.

If I weren't leaving on my cruise this weekend, I might could rest a little easier, but I hate to be gone a week while my aunt's condition is still so uncertain and while HRH is so sick.  I'm desperately praying for improvements from both so I won't worry so much when I am gone.  I am a worrier, and I can't help but be anxious.  It is taken everything in me not to burst into tears.  I nearly did so in front of the vet today (though I did when I got back in my car), and then again when I talked to my mother about my aunt.  Therefore, I am praying, and I ask that you pray with me.

In the early 20th century, Florence Nightingale, a pioneer of modern nursing, was a believer in the effects of prayer. She wrote, "Often when people seem unconscious, a word of prayer reaches them."  Though studies have often been inconclusive about the power of prayer (really it's according to the source that is consulted), I have faith in God at he will guide us through difficult times.



13 comments:

silvereagle said...

Professor...You, your aunt, and HRH will be in my prayers. Difficult times come to all, and with the strength of prayers of ourself and others we are able to traverse the rocky road. I hope you will go on the cruise, irrespective of the problems that surround you. Leave the problems in the hands of God, and your prayers with your aunt and HRH.

Joe said...

Thank you, silvereagle. Your words mean a lot to me, and I will put all my faith in God to guide the doctors and veterinarians to heal my loved ones.

Michael Dodd said...

God is there to heal -- but sometimes God heals the suffering by taking their suffering away and tucking them safely and forever into his eternal love. My heart goes out to you and your family at this time. Whatever comes to pass, may love and hope and faith carry you.

Robert's views said...

We pray for the best but we must leave it in God's Hands. You have my prayers to support you in whatever is the outcome. I hope you go on the cruise.

Anonymous said...

sending positive energy your way

David Jeffreys said...

Not only does Joe need your prayers everyone, but I suggest you make a donation to him as well to help with the vet bills and his upcoming trip. I did and you will also if you value Joe and his contributions to us bloggers. There is a DONATE button at the top right of his page, which will take you to PayPal. I know Joe will appreciate anything you are able to share. Joe has not solicited me, but I make my donation of my own free will.

naturgesetz said...

May God grant his abundant blessisng to you, your aunt, HRH, and all who care for them.

Steve G Thomas said...

Hello Joe
You have my support & prayers.
I too worry a lot, but have been comforted through prayers.
I like what Michael Dodd has written to you, I have similar feelings.
I am a teacher by vocation and I have been thinking of a comment to write to your post of How??.

Amanda said...

I will keep your Aunt, HRH, and you in my prayers. And, remember that you are not alone. God is there with you and your loved ones. So go on your cruise with a light heart and know that all is taken care of. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

You, your aunt, HRH, and your entire family have my prayers.

Sometimes, God will not do what we necessarily want, but perhaps what is best for others. I pray both your aunt and HRH will improve and heal, but God knows what's best.

PLEASE enjoy your cruise!

Peace <3
Jay

NiceGuy said...

May God give you, and the rest of your family, peace that surpasses all understanding. I had 2 aunts, 2 two neighbors (cancers), and then I suddenly lost my best buddy, my dog, in November. I never could have made it through without my friends and God's comfort. Also I've been calling my neighbor, who's now living alone, during the holidays to let him know he's thought of.

As I see my cat grow old and frail, I know soon I'll have to make a decision for him. Unfortunately death is part of life. Love and enjoy your loved ones.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you and your family and that your aunt and HRH are comfortable as they recover. Be sure to take care of yourself.

Ri said...

Joe, may God provide what your aunt and HRH need and may he grant you the ability to accept His decision. Peace be with you.