Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Pallbearer



My original plan today was to be disembarking from a cruise ship at Isla Roatán in Honduras.  However, since my cruise was cancelled due to my aunt's death, I will be serving as a pallbearer at her funeral instead of taking a historical tour of Roatán and getting in some beach time.


For those of you who may not know, a pallbearer is one of several funeral participants who helps carry the casket of a deceased person from a religious or memorial service or viewing either directly to a cemetery or mausoleum, or to and from the hearse which carries the coffin.

A pall is the heavy cloth that is draped over a coffin. The term "pallbearer" is used to signify someone who bears the coffin which the pall covers.

In western cultures, the pallbearers are usually male family members, close friends, or colleagues of the deceased.  A pall-bearer in the USA will carry a casket by the handles, and at around waist height. In the United Kingdom, the casket is carried on the shoulders, and the handles are for the most part decorative. All lifting should be done from underneath the casket.

I realize that this is a somewhat somber post, and it's quite a somber time for me and my family.  I just did not feel like righting a cheerful post today, so I hope you will forgive me.


P.S.  HRH seems to be enjoying being home.  I'm sure after being kept in a kennel for a week, she is happy to be able to roam around some, though she's mostly resting.  Quite honestly, sleeping is what cats do most of the time anyway.

6 comments:

silvereagle said...

An awesome responsibility and honor as well.

Unknown said...

Peace to you all at this time. As you carry her body to its rest, may you carry her memory in your heart forever.

naturgesetz said...

Serving as a pallbearer is an real service to the deceased, and one that can give the pallbearer a real sense of satisfaction.

I attended a funeral yesterday (recounted on my blog) and even that, without taking any special role, gives the realization of doing something worthwhile in honor of the deceased.

Glad to hear that HRH seems to be doing well.

Amanda said...

Sorry for you and your families loss. I'm sure HRH is glad to be home with you. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

I do hope you'll be able to take the cruise later. I know you were looking forward to it.

Glad HRH is acting like a cat again!

Peace <3
Jay

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss. Glad HRH is better