Monday, January 6, 2014

Snow Day



Technically, we aren't getting a snow day here in Alabama because if there was snow, it came in the middle of the night in the form of flurries and none of it accumulated.  However, we are getting the day out of school because of extremely cold (at least for Alabama) temperatures and icy roads.  Since we rarely have these conditions, it is advisable that people only get on the roads if it is absolutely necessary.  I will not be getting on the roads today.  The school is closed and since we are expecting even colder temperatures tomorrow, with a possible windchill of below 0 degrees, we may not have school tomorrow either (I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

Instead of going out, I actually have a lot I need to get done today.  I need to do some laundry, especially some of my summer clothes.  Summer clothes? You ask.  Yes, summer clothes.  I will be needing them next week.  I'm going on a seven day cruise to Honduras, Belize, and Mexico.  Because I'm a poor teacher, I would not normally be going on a cruise; however, a close friend of mine and her family are going and they invited me.  Since there was an odd number of them and my friend's sister would have a room to herself and it was a mere $100 to add another person, they asked if I wanted to go.  I hesitated at first because of finances, because I really didn't have even $100 to spare.  They said that if I would go, they'd take care of the $100 and the cruise would be free.  Honestly, how could I pass it up?  So I didn't.  I've saved up some money and receive some at Christmas to help pay for the incidentals (HRH's healthcare costs have cut into that), but all in all, I think I will be okay.  From what I have been told, there are three main extra costs to going on a cruise: 1) the excursions at the various ports, 2) alcoholic beverages, which I expect to consume copious amounts, and 3) souvenirs.  I hope I have enough to cover these.

Anyway, there's a lot to do to get ready before I leave.  First of all, I need to get packed and make sure I don't forget anything.  Second, having a substitute for a week at school is more work than being there.  Luckily, I have it worked out that I have reached a particular part in my curriculum for each of my classes to be able to show a movie in nearly all of them, and if I can be creative then I will be able to find a movie for all of them. However, in my class, watching a movie is never enough.  Assignments have to be made for follow ups.  I will have worksheets and essays for students to work on when the movies have finished.  Third, I need to schedule blog posts for each day I will be at sea.  Next week will probably be a few itinerary items, mixed in with some of my usual posts, but I'm sure most of it will be cruise or travel related.  I have some ideas, so I hope that even though I will be gone and will not be able to respond to comments, you will tune in each day to see what I have in store for you.  I promise I will do my best to make it fun.  If nothing else, I know you will enjoy the pictures.

So it's actually a good thing that it's too cold to do anything today, I have a lot to get started on this week, and all of it will have to be finished by Friday.

11 comments:

silvereagle said...

Have fun, professor...and I know you will....actually I would recommend skipping the tours at the ports and staying on board,....but, have fun!!!!

MAC said...

What an amazing opportunity. How nice of your friends to think of you. I know you'll enjoy yourself. Take tons of pics!

Michael Dodd said...

Lucky you! When I went outside this morning to take some photos for a friend, it was 20 below, with a windchill of 42 below. A cruise sounds totally awesome! What good friends you have.

Anonymous said...

Wish I had friends like that! Have a great time! Do some research on the cruise - check their website for reviews and such. My friend did and learned about all the extras and tricks - like bringing your own water and soda, packing a day bag for when you board bc it takes so long to get into your room and if there are anythings you want to do like the spa or trips - make sure you sign up for them right after you board and some have very limited availibliies.

JiEL said...

Mother Nature is all mixed up...

Up here in Montreal we're having poring rain with a big 6°C (around 43°F) ...

The snow is melting and lot of car accidents because the roads are very slippery....

BUT, in the next days, the temperature will go back down and will freeze all that mess....

What a yoyo winter we're having here....

Take care..

From JiEL and my new cat Thomas..
xxx

naturgesetz said...

That should be very enjoyable. So enjoy!

Anonymous said...

The tweet convo said it all! Our kids get a 2 hour delay tomorrow. Us 12-monthers have to be in on time.

Peace <3
Jay

RB said...

Sounds awesome. Have a great time.

. said...

Have a wonderful trip...you deserve it. All my best to you and HRH. Take lots of pictures!!

fan of casey said...

Bon voyage! RHR will be lonely while you are gone.

fan of casey said...

Gosh, I typed too fast. I meant HRH.