Thursday, February 27, 2014

HRH



Most people who do not like cats do so because of some stereotypes associated with owning a cat, including ones that they are snobby, nasty, boring, and have really no interest in being around people except when they want food and water. Cats are often seen as aloof animals who only do what they want to do when they want to do it.  The above generalizations actually apply to very few cats. Of course cats like to have some "alone time" every now and then (Who doesn't?), but just like people, cats have their own unique personalities, so their temperament and socialization depend quite a lot on simply "how they are."

HRH is my faithful companion.  By the way, the above picture is an actual picture of her.  Over the years we have become very attached to one another.  Though she may have a bit of attitude at times, especially around people she's not familiar with, she's often a very gentle cat, as long as she is treated well.  She's a bit finicky at times.  She will only eat dry cat food, she wants her bowls to be full, and she refuses to eat crumbles. She also has a fairly strict routine each day.  She's up around 6 am each day, no later than 7 am, and she is ready for bed at 10 pm.  She nearly always sleeps through the night, often beside me in the bed.  During the day, it's all about eating and catnapping.

Whatever anyone may say about HRH, she's and empathetic and intelligent cat.  She has learned how to manipulate humans into getting what she wants. And the part that makes her such a wonderful companion is her empathy.  She knows when I am sad or when I'm sick.  When I have a headache, she seems to able to sense it.  She will come up to me and gently pat my head with her paw or rubs her head against mine in an attempt to comfort me.  If she notices me tossing and turning at night have a hard time falling asleep, then she will often crawl up on top of me and lay down, so that I will stay still and fall asleep.  Now she probably only does this because my tossing and turning disturbs her, but she's learned how to calm me down.

Overall, she's a wonderful companion.  The picture above is from when I had my headache.  She was sleeping quietly beside me making sure that I was alright.  Occasionally, she'd even get up and pat my head with her paw, as a way of saying, "Get well, my friend."

6 comments:

Michael Dodd said...

When Tom or I are feeling bad, one or both of our cats come and snuggle up to us. Sundance has a lovely concerned look on her face when she does it.

The only thing that bothers me about this is all those stories about cats in nursing homes who come to the room and sit with patients who are dying ...

JiEL said...

I adopted «Thomas» on Jan.3rth this year and he is slowly adapting to me and the appartment as well as I am also discovering his personality.

Thomas is a 2yo Serengety cat with lot of personality: as you said, he needs his moments of solitude.
His main quality is to be a vere careful cat in regard of the furniture, flower and plants and the curio I have everywhere on the furniture...

He is quite skillful to walk every narrow places like shelves or the window frame.

But most of all, his is a nice animal that is fulfilling my life as a single man...

I had both, cats and dogs, and they have qualities and issues.
Adopting one of the other depend on what you want or like for a companion.

Best regards from JiEL and Thomas.

Anonymous said...

I'm a dog person. Growing up I have several bad experiences with cats that were unfriendly towards humans and unknown humans especially. Also, my mom didn't like cats much either and while she was one of those people who would rancher not have pets because she feared loosing them, she believed it was important for children to have pets so we did. The funny thing was that animals of all kinds worshiped my mom and the more indifferent she was to them the more they loved her. As an adult, I'm not afraid or cats (though I'm more cautious around them then dogs) and have enjoyed a few but I don't see myself ever living with one. I'm glad you have HRH and that she is doing well.

silvereagle said...

HRH is a special breed.....but not for me...Dogs, small size are just fine!!

Anonymous said...

I saw that title and gulped! I was afraid of bad news! How happy I am to find it's not.

I have had, over the eyars, 3 cats. First was Precious, the pet of my foster son at the time. When he went back to his mom, she had too many cats and Precious couldn't move with him. She was never happy until a neighbor moved her to the country with his cat! Then there was Bobbie, a calico Manx. She was the sweetest, most loving cat you would ever want, and was totally devoted to my dog at the time, an 85 pound mutt named Bear. She died two weeks after I had to put Bear to sleep, I am sure of a broken heart. Then there was Rocky, a rescue from the Army fort where I worked. He was found in the ditch beside the Rock Drill building, thus his name. After he attacked me one night and put me in the hospital a little over a year later, I got rid of him. Ungrateful bastard!

No more cats for me. Probably not dogs either. I really don't want a pet to have to be dealt with if they were to outlive me (quite possible at my age), and I don't think I could deal with putting a third dog down.

But I get your post, 100%. Long live HRH!!!

Peace <3
Jay

Anonymous said...

I love this post Joe. As I read your description of your relationship with HRH I was struck by a few thoughts. First, how wonderful to have a companion like Vic that is empathetic and caring in her own feline way. And second, how interesting but not surprising how animals mimic their owners. You are a very caring empathetic man who no doubt would put your arm around a friend to comfort them when sad or sick. Lay beside them to let them know you care. Rest you head upon them to quiet their fears and restless mind. Vic is simply giving you what you give her and to others around you near and far.