Monday, October 19, 2015

First Day


Today is my first day at my new job.  I'm very excited, and I've never been excited about a job before.  I've always had jobs that were supposed to be temporary until a "real" job came along.  I went to graduate school thinking I'd teach college.  I've always loved teaching college, but I ended up teaching high school instead.  If you're a regular reader of this blog, you know the story.

One thing though that I did when in graduate school was to diversify within the field of history.  I covered military, Civil Rights, American, European, Women, and Native American history, as well as various research tools, such as language, oral history, public history, literary analysis, and art history.  By doing so, I wanted to make myself marketable.  While it has taken many more years than I expected for that strategy to pan out, it finally has.  I landed a job in which I was uniquely qualified for because of my diversification, and while it is not a teaching job, it is a job that I am very happy with beginning.  

So today is my first day.  I'll get the keys to my new office and get to work making this position mine and molding it as I see fit.  I've basically been given free rein to make this position and the program I'm taking over into what I know it can be. I Will Try to do my very best, because that's all we can to is try to do our very best.

13 comments:

Matt said...

Very, very best wishes on your first day!!

Brad said...

"I Will Try to do my very best..."

I know you'll succeed!

silvereagle said...

Go Get 'Em, Tiger....AND KEEP 'EM WHEN YOU FIND 'EM......

Congrats by the way...

naturgesetz said...

As my dad used to say to me every morning as I left for school, "Have a good day, and do good work."

P.S. I'm sure you will.

Susan said...

There is a museum in Vermont that is so very fortunate to have you in their employ. And as the days and as weeks goes by they will be thanking their lucky stars they made the decision they did. My natural instinct is to wish you all the best on your first day, Joe—and I do—but I have a feeling you won't be needing it. You've already laid the groundwork for all the good luck anyone could want. So I'll just add: have a wonderful time today doing work you will be great at, being where you were meant to be. (((Hugs)))

JiEL said...

You'll not only «try to do your best» but I'm sure you'll be «THE BEST» in that new challenge...

The FUTURE is yours young man.

All my best wishes to you.

(((( HUGS ))))

Gerry said...

By all measures you have built a great beginning! Keep on building on those foundation stones.

BosGuy said...

Good luck.

Amanda said...

Go Joe go! You're going to rock this new job and definitely make it your own! Good luck! :)

Andrew Weiss said...

You are certainly going into your new job with a great, positive attitude. I am certain you will do a great job.

Any snow there over the weekend?

Michael Dodd said...

Proud of you!

Lenny Ricci said...

Joe... you've come so far and you should be so very proud of yourself for making this happen. From what you've written so far, I think you will do really well. As they say on Star Trek... Make it so!

Good Luck

Lenny from denver.

doreus said...

From a fellow historian with a diverse range of experiences: congratulations on landing the job and I wish you the best!