Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I Hear America Singing



I Hear America Singing
Walt Whitman, 1819 - 1892

 I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear,
Those of mechanics, each one singing his as it should be blithe
     and strong,
The carpenter singing his as he measures his plank or beam,
The mason singing his as he makes ready for work, or leaves off
     work,
The boatman singing what belongs to him in his boat, the
     deckhand singing on the steamboat deck,
The shoemaker singing as he sits on his bench, the hatter singing
     as he stands,
The wood-cutter’s song, the ploughboy’s on his way in the
     morning, or at noon intermission or at sundown,
The delicious singing of the mother, or of the young wife at
     work, or of the girl sewing or washing,
Each singing what belongs to him or her and to none else,
The day what belongs to the day—at night the party of young
     fellows, robust, friendly,
Singing with open mouths their strong melodious songs.


This is my favorite poem about work. It's Walt Whitman’s celebration of the working man.  I think Whitman definitely had a thing for blue collar workers. To me, this is one of the most melodic of Whitman's poems.

I wanted to do a poem about work because my first day went really well.  Grant it, most of the day was settling into my new office and getting my ID, ordering business cards, and stuff like that.  It was a mostly quiet day.  There isn't a lot I can do yet.  The IT department has to switch over the computers to me, they are all still locked with my predecessor’s log ins.  So far though things are going smoothly.

And for those who were wondering, I did get snow up here this weekend.  It snowed a little Saturday and then off and on all day Sunday.  It's amazing to me to get snow in October.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Oh wow. I LOVE Walt Whitman! I hadn't read this particular poem in so long so this was a treat to wake up to.

Talking about snow, a number of years back we got snow on April Fool's Day. Welcome to New England! Stay warm.

Nice to hear you're settling into your new job.

Susan said...

For me too, this is a favorite poem. So happy to read it again. Thanks for that, Joe. Glad to know everything went well on your first day.

Continuing with the weather theme, NYC was unseasonably cold yesterday and on the weekend and now through Thursday it is forecast in the low 70's!

JiEL said...

Welcome to NORTH America Joe.

We all had such freezing weather. Not much snow here mostly wet rain with some snow in but nothing on the ground.

The thing is that you're in a mountain place and, as our Eastern Townships, you'll have more snow than us here in Montreal.

Watch the high altitude «jay» air flux and you'll know what to expect.
Last year, it plunged way south and lot of middle east states had freezing weather..

BUT, I'm sure that the warmth of your co-workers will heat you up..

Your friend in Montreal

silvereagle said...

Off to a great start!! Know you are,happy at WORK!!

naturgesetz said...

"Be happy in your work."

Shouldn't be a problem for you.