Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Home for the Holidays



(There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays
By Al Stillman

Oh, theres no place like home for the holidays
Cause no matter how far away you roam
When you pine for the sunshine of a friendly gaze
For the holidays, you cant beat home, sweet home

I met a man who lives in Tennessee
He was headin' for, Pennsylvania, and some home made pumpkin pie
From Pennsylvania, folks are travelin' down to Dixie's sunny shore
From Atlantic to Pacific, gee, the traffic is terrific

Oh, there's no place like home for the holidays
Cause no matter how far away you roam
If you want to be happy in a million ways
For the holidays, you cant beat home, sweet home

Take a bus, take a train, go and hop an airplane
Put the wife and kiddies in the family car
For the pleasure that you bring when you make that doorbell ring
No trip could be too far

I met a man who lives in Tennessee
He was headin' for, Pennsylvania, and some home made pumpkin pie
From Pennsylvania, folks are travelin' down to Dixie's sunny shore
From Atlantic to Pacific, gee, the traffic is terrific

Oh, there's no place like home for the holidays
Cause no matter how far away you roam
If you want to be a happy in a million ways
For the holidays, you cant beat home, sweet home
For the holidays, you cant beat home, sweet home

I am heading this afternoon " down to Dixie's sunny shore," actually it's the heart of Dixie and it's supposed to rain all week, but I will be home for the holidays. Though Vermont is now my home, a part of my heart will always remain with my family in Alabama. If you are fortunate enough to be able to spend the holidays with your family, please think of all those who aren't able to do so. They many in the LGBT community who have been disowned by their family. Many of these people make their own families.  I was fortunate to be part of the family of friends that surrounded my dear departed friend. I remember the first Christmas that I knew him, he was going to be alone. I got up early the morning of Christmas and purchased a Santa Claus gift card from Amazon.com to be delivered by email to him. I couldn't stand the idea of him not having something to open. I sent him a text on Christmas morning saying that Santa had visited his email. We were separated by some distance and I wasn't able to be there with him, but he knew I was in spirit. I had my gift all planned out for this year, but I never got to order it or send it to him. So please remember those who are separated from their families. Everyone needs someone for the holidays.

As it gets closer to Christmas, I am trying to think about the good things and remember some of my favorite moments of our friendship. Christmas songs have always gotten me in a more festive mood, but I haven't felt much like listening to them. However, since I am going home for the holidays, I chose to do something that I haven't done in a while and post a song for my Tuesday poetry post. I've always loved this song, but my holiday favorites have always been "O Holy Night," "Winter Wonderland," "Silent Night," "The Christmas Song," and "Happy Holidays." Of course there are many others that I love, but those have always been my top five.

The music for "Home for the Holidays" was composed by Robert Allen, while the lyrics were written by Al Stillman and was published in 1954. The best-known recordings were made by Perry Como, who recorded the song twice. The first recording, done on November 16, 1954, was released as a single for Christmas, 1954, by RCA. The flip side was "Silk Stockings." The next Christmas it was released again, with "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" as the flip side. Como's second recording of the song, in stereo and with a different musical arrangement, was made on July 15, 1959. It was released with "Winter Wonderland" on the flip side.

While it's been hard for me to do the last few weeks, smile this holiday season. You never know when a simple smile can warm someone's heart. And if you find yourself under some mistletoe, grab the cutest guy nearby, pull him under the mistletoe with you, and give him a kiss he will never forget. Happy Holidays, everyone.


P.S. Keep me in your thoughts tomorrow. I have severe anxiety about flying and can never do so without Xanax. I have two different layovers, one 1.5 hours and the other 2 hours, so I may have to take an extra dose. When flying between Burlington and Montgomery, there are no direct flights. It is going to be a long day.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Being with family for the holidays can be a wonderful experience. I hope your time in Alabama is just that. And I know too part of your joy will be seeing those furballs of yours: Edith and Lucy. What a reunion! Enjoy it all, Joe, but come back to Vermont safe and sound.

Michael Dodd said...

Hope the trip goes well. Traveling at the holidays in any form has its stresses! We get to drive for four hours into downtown Chicago ... Yay. :-(

Be well, be happy, be you. Your presence will be a gift to those who are missing you.

Lenny Ricci said...

Joe... safe travels.. and always remember, you have your friends here in the cyber world who still put out a cyber mistletoe along with a cyber hug and a cyber kiss to get you through the rough times.

Buon Natale' my friend.


Lenny from Denver

Anonymous said...

Safe travels and I hope there are not delays due to weather. In North Alabama, we are supposed to have severe weather. I hope South Alabama has a better forecast. Have a Merry Christmas!