Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Unclouded Day


THE UNCLOUDED DAY
Author: J. K. Alwood

O they tell me of a home far beyond the skies,
O they tell me of a home far away;
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise,
O they tell me of an unclouded day.

Refrain

O the land of cloudless day,
O the land of an unclouded day,
O they tell me of a home where no storm clouds rise,
O they tell me of an unclouded day.

O they tell me of a home where my friends have gone,
O they tell me of that land far away,
Where the tree of life in eternal bloom
Sheds its fragrance through the unclouded day.

Refrain

O they tell me of a King in His beauty there,
And they tell me that mine eyes shall behold
Where He sits on the throne that is whiter than snow,
In the city that is made of gold.

Refrain

O they tell me that He smiles on His children there,
And His smile drives their sorrows all away;
And they tell me that no tears ever come again
In that lovely land of unclouded day.

Refrain

This is one of my favorite hymns. I used to love leading this song when I was a song leader. As long as I got the "O" in the right key, then everyone would follow along. But I also love this song for its meaning in the hope that it provides.

In the first verse, the song tells us about a beautiful home where we all hope to be one day. It talks about a place where there are no clouds in the sky and there is only beautiful rays of sunshine that brightens our day. The second verse brings us even more hope. It's a place where we can see our friends who have gone on before us and we can see family members who have going on before. It's a place of eternal beauty and of eternal love.

The third and fourth verse talk about God and all the beauty that he beholds. It describes heaven as a place where God has a throne that is whiter than snow and the city is made of gold. It also talks about how our smiles will drive away all the sorrows of this life.

This song has two particular meanings for me. It means that there is hope that one day I will see those I've lost again. And as someone who lives with depression and anxiety, there will be a day when the clouds of those dreadful maladies are washed away forever. It's a place where I'll be free of headaches and can enjoy eternity with my Lord and Savior.

As we contemplate the days of spring in the unclouded days that outnumber the cloudy ones, we can take comfort that God's beauty is all around us.

3 comments:

Michael Dodd said...

Until that unclouded day, may your clouded days bring rainbows, too.

Anonymous said...

Please!

Susan said...

A beautiful post, Joe. And while it deals with the hope of wonders to come in the Afterlife, it reminds me of a saying someone told me a long time ago about the Here and Now: Where there is Life there is Hope. For me during times of worry and concern, that calming phrase has helped a great deal.