Friday, August 26, 2016

Work



I may have been a bit blue the last few nights, but I have honestly been enjoying work. I’ve been busy, which is not something that I can usually say. Often I am waiting for people to interview, trying to find people to interview, and contacting people about interviews, which is the hardest parts of my job.  The easy part comes when I am being used as a historian as opposed to an oral historian. I love being an oral historian, I love interviewing the people, when I can find someone to interview. However, our new exhibit is something on which I am considered an expert (although I don't always feel like one even with a master's degree in the subject).
I have been doing a lot of writing for the exhibit. You may not think about it, but all of the labels telling about stuff in an exhibit have to be written by someone. For this exhibit, I have done much of the writing and what I haven’t written, I have edited. To say that I love doing this would be an understatement. I wish that this was my job. It has been discussed that education coordinator be added to my job title. If that was the case, and it may become a possibility, then I would be writing curriculum to go with the exhibits, plus I would be putting together educational programs, like the reading and discussion group that I am already coordinating.
If they ever get the museum studies program going, I would also be a faculty member, which is what I really went to graduate school to do, though it didn’t work out. There are lots of possibilities with my job, and the busier I am the more I like it. I know that can’t be said for a lot of jobs, but I like to stay busy when I am at work. One thing about when I was teaching, there was no down time. Yes, I had a free period, but that was spent working to get things graded and making out assignments and tests. If it hadn’t been for the students, I would have loved teaching, but the students were just too rowdy and out of control.  I hated discipline. Now, I don’t have to worry about that. It’s just a matter of doing my job and helping where and when I can.

It’s nice when your boss and your coworkers tell you on a regular basis that they are so glad that I came to work there. However, just being appreciated has not been enough to bring me out of my depression. I wish it was, but I miss home, I miss my friend I lost, and I miss being nearer to family.  I don’t mind living away from my family, in fact, I prefer it, but I wish I was at least within driving distance. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's difficult being so far from home, isn't it? My experience of New England was that it was hard to meet people. Sometimes church helps that. Sometimes Meetup.com has groups that get one out and with others. If you stay at home moping, then it probably will not get better soon. Hope that this advice does not come across as harsh. I know what it is like to experience depression and loneliness. I am telling you what I tell myself.