Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Winter Has Come Early


The snows came yesterday. We got at least 6 inches of snow. No snow plow came to my apartment before work, when at least 4 inches had accumulated. When I got home, no snow plow came to get the 6 inches of accumulation. I texted my landlord to see why no snow plow had been by. They had been everywhere else around us, including the property he owns next door, yet no plow for us. The funeral home across the street was plowed 5 times yesterday; we were not plowed once. After waiting hours for a response from my landlord, I finally got one. He said he had talked to the plow driver and they had decided to let it melt on its own. He said it would be warm enough last night and today to melt it. I’m no physicist, but doesn’t the temperature have to get above freezing for snow to melt. The high today will be 22 with a low of 7. Tomorrow the high will be 28 with a low of 23, and Friday, we are expecting another 6 inches of snow. When will it melt? How will it melt? Am I missing something? Please tell me if I am, because I really want to understand.

9 comments:

bignate said...

If I was 12 I'd make an "I wish I got plowed five times yesterday" joke. But I'm more mature now.

Do you get snow days? Or work from home?

Susan said...

Joe, you need to contact your landlord when it hasn't melted, clearly explain to him WHY it hasn't melted, and ask for the plowing to take place. What a jerk! Good luck and step carefully. <3

Joe said...

bignate, my university doesn't believe in snow days, especially for me and those like me who live close to campus. It's just a little too far to walk every day, so I generally drive. I may have to rethink that though.

Dave R said...

No, it doesn't have to be above freezing for snow to melt. You see the sun beats down on it and all of that infra-red radiation causes the snow crystals to actually heat up and melt, and that's just one example. Rocks, concrete, glass, will all heat up from the sun and melt snow, even if the temp is 12 (F).

Joe said...

Dave, I could understand this, if we were expected to have any sun, but the sun hasn't even peeked out of the clouds all day. Oh well, maybe it was wishful thinking on his part. I was just by there and it has not melted so far today.

Joe said...

Susan, my landlord is a jerk, and I wish he had never bought my building. I liked my old landlords better.

Richard said...

Snow also sublimates, going directly from a solid (snow) to water vapor without melting into water first.

We're going to have out first snow of the season here in south central Pennsylvania tonight and in the morning before turning to sleet and freezing rain then just plain rain. With any luck the rain will be sufficient to melt whatever snow does accumulate.

DOréus said...

That sounds like the Chinook snow clearing method. Your landlord must be from Calgary.

Richard said...

Well, surprise, surprise. Instead of the few inches predicted for our first snow of the season, we received a record 8.1 inches! It started in late morning and had dropped most of its content just before evening rush. Traffic on I83 was stalled for five freaking hours before the snow plows could clear things. Fortunately, I was able to sit indoors and watch the whole mess on the news.