Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Wednesday’s Woes





Monday's child is fair of face
Tuesday's child is full of grace
Wednesday's child is full of woe
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
And the child that is born on the Sunday
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.


What a terrible nursery rhyme, but one that I not only have heard often, it often echoes in my head.  You see, I was born on a Wednesday. I have also suffered from depression since I was a teenager, thus being “full of woe.” I think I should have been born on a Sunday. I am gay after all, but woe is me, I was born on a Wednesday. I would love to know what day of the week you were born on. If you don’t know, you can always find out by using a perpetual calendar, such as this one https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/generate.html in which you put in your year and a year-long calendar appears. So what day of the week were you born and is this nursery rhyme a fitting example of your personality?

11 comments:

HuntleyBiGuy said...

Saturday, here. It holds true for me. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to retire.

Bill M said...

Tuesday here. "Full of grace"? Well, not as a dancer, anyway! But in the sense of an unruffled personality, tactful, making others feel at ease, yes. Combine that with my zodiacal sign, Libra (balanced, in harmony with others), and I'd say Tuesday's "grace" fits me as much as anything else in the poem.

bignate said...

Thursday. I have far to go. I can't decide if that means I have big things ahead of me, or if it's going to take me forever to get there. Sunday would be more appropriate for me, too.

Anonymous said...

Monday here. Fair of face. Coming from Ireland what else would you expect.

Susan said...

I’m a Saturday’s child born 45 minutes before the end of the day. I have worked hard throughout my life so that applies—and more than the other days' descriptions.

But you're correct about the poem; it's just weird. Good post question, though. And thanks for the calendar link. I never knew my day of birth.

JiEL said...

I'm a Tuesday man.
Full of grace maybe as many told me that I have like an aura and is a very talented as an artist.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I just discovered that I, too, was born on a Wednesday! Although I never considered myself prone to bouts of depression, that would explain a few past episodes in my life of 70 years.

bulldawgs said...

I am a Thursday child. Missed being a Wednesday Kid by 2 hours.

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Another Wednesday's child here, but I think I show signs of all 7 days. At least I hope so. I just want to know why the original writer had a thing against Wednesday babies.

Larry said...

Sunday here, born at eight in the morning. Like Susan, I had no idea of what day I was born. Interesting.

Richard said...

A Saturday Leo here