Last night was a strange night. I’d had a migraine for most of the afternoon and evening, and it was bad enough that I took a late-afternoon nap. The nap didn’t help the migraine, but eventually it eased enough that I could read. I got really into my book and finally had to make myself put it down around 10:30 and turn out the lights. Unfortunately, turning out the lights did not mean falling asleep. So, I resorted to a time-honored tradition that many guys have used to help themselves fall asleep. It worked, and sometime after 11, I finally drifted off to sleep.
Isabella had been trying to get me to go to bed since around 9 pm. Apparently, she knew perfectly well that regardless of how late I stayed up, she wasn’t changing her schedule. Sure enough, at 4 am, she woke me up to feed her.
She also woke me from a rather odd dream. I didn’t appear to be in the dream at all, and all I’ll say about the subject matter is that it had the plot of some fairly kinky porn. I seemed to be watching everything from above, almost as if I were watching a movie rather than participating in the dream. After Isabella roused me and I fed her, I went back to bed.
That’s when something even more unusual happened: I went back to dreaming, and the new dream seemed to continue the previous one. Somewhere along the way, though, the kinky porn plot began turning into a love story that appeared to be heading toward a throuple. Eventually, that dream ended and another began. This time I was actually in the dream, but it was much more romantic than erotic.
I’ve mentioned before that remembering dreams has never happened very often for me. You might remember Saturday’s “Moment of Zen: Sweet Dreams,” and I’m guessing some of you figured out that it was inspired by waking from an erotic dream. Strangely enough, I wasn’t in that dream either. Again, it was more like watching a movie. Judging by the state of certain parts of my anatomy when I woke up, however, apparently I’d found the movie pretty sexy.
I didn’t remember that dream nearly as clearly as I remember this morning’s dreams. Then, another morning last week, I woke remembering a dream that wasn’t erotic at all but much more mundane. So, for whatever reason, I seem to be going through a period of unusually vivid and memorable dreams. I’m not sure why. If I’d started a new medication, I might blame that, but nothing has really changed.
Sadly, all those dreams did nothing for my migraine. I still have it this morning, but I’m going to work. If I called out sick today, it would mean I’d missed three of the last four Mondays because of a migraine. They’ve all been legitimate migraines, but I also know how people can gossip when someone seems to miss work on a regular schedule. I don’t want it to start looking like I’ve developed a convenient case of the Mondays.
If the migraine gets worse—or simply doesn’t get any better as the day goes on—I may come back home. For now, though, I’m going to give Monday a try.
Needless to say, between too little sleep, bizarre dreams, and a lingering migraine, I’m looking forward to this Monday even less than usual.
No comments:
Post a Comment