Sunday, November 20, 2011

Being Thankful

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
Albert Schweitzer

Keep your eyes open to your mercies. The man who forgets to be thankful has fallen asleep in life.
Robert Louis Stevenson

We can always find something to be thankful for, and there may be reasons why we ought to be thankful for even those dispensations which appear dark and frowning.
Albert Barnes

We can be thankful to a friend for a few acres, or a little money; and yet for the freedom and command of the whole earth, and for the great benefits of our being, our life, health, and reason, we look upon ourselves as under no obligation.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

If a fellow isn't thankful for what he's got, he isn't likely to be thankful for what he's going to get.
Frank Howard Clark

If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share.
W. Clement Stone

Like Christ said, love thee one another. I learned to do that, and I learned to respect and be appreciative and thankful for what I had.
James Brown

Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses.
Alphonse Karr

Thanksgiving is a time when the world gets to see just how blessed and how workable the Christian system is. The emphasis is not on giving or buying, but on being thankful and expressing that appreciation to God and to one another.
John Clayton

The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!
Henry Ward Beecher

We have to be thankful considering our number as a family we enjoy very good health generally but you may be sure me and my partner have quite enough to exercise our minds and occupy our attention.
John Hawley

We in the United States should be all the more thankful for the freedom and religious tolerance we enjoy. And we should always remember the lessons learned from the Holocaust, in hopes we stay vigilant against such inhumanity now and in the future.
Charlie Dent

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

these are all great quotes have a wonderful Sunday

silvereagle said...

I follow the thoughts expressed by all above (even twice by Lucius Seneca!) and agree completely. As I think of this week, I am thankful for life, friends, habitat, and the undeserved benefits of this life. I am especially thankful for Dave, the young man in my life who brought new life and new meaning to my life almost eight years ago. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am thankful that I have supportive friends, and friends that make me laugh, and sometimes cry, and always to think!

Peace <3
Jay

. said...

Joe, I enjoyed reading your blog and quotes today. Keep up the good work!!

fan of casey said...

Joe: I am thankful for all you do, for this blog, for educating little minds, for caring for your family and HRH, the Queen, for being my friend even though we are far apart.

Jared Beverly said...

Do you have a hi-res version of that photo? Because that's the most beautiful thing ever.