Friday, May 27, 2016

Solo Vacation



I was trying to think if I'd ever gone on vacation by myself before. Only one time comes to mind, but it wasn't a vacation but a research trip. About ten years ago, I went to Italy for a month. I was all alone and knew no one in Italy. I'd never been anywhere by myself. Like now, I lived alone at the time, but I'd never gone off to a strange place all on my own. It was simultaneously terrifying and exhilarating. But again, that was not a pleasure trip, it was a research trip.

My trip to Montreal this weekend will be the first time I am going on vacation by myself for pleasure. This time it's more exhilarating than terrifying. I plan to have a great time exploring the city. On this trip I get to do exactly what I want to do and I don't have to worry about anyone else.

I needed to get away this weekend. I needed a mental health break. Six months ago this Sunday, a dear friend of mine who was like a brother died in a car accident.  He was a very beautiful soul. One of the kindest and most loving people I've ever known. Instead of mourning him, I can spend this weekend celebrating his life. He would be so excited that I am going to Montreal and will be able to explore the Gay Village. He was always my biggest cheerleader when it came to exploring my sexuality more. 

It's not just the Gay Village, it is so much more that I want to see. The museums and cathedral and so many other things in Old Montreal. I have the history on one side of me and I have the gay experience on the other. It's a vacation that I have tailored for me, and if I'm lucky, I'll meet a few friends along the way. I already have plans to meet one friend of mine in Montreal for drinks, so unlike my time in Italy, I will know someone this time.

So I hope you will wish me luck and that I have a great and safe time. As soon as work is over, I have to run back by my apartment quickly then I'm hitting the road and driving to Montreal. If all goes well, I should make it to Montreal by about 7:30 tonight. Once I get checked in I plan to head down to the hotel restaurant and have their Moules à la Provençale et Frite Maison (Provençale style mussels and hand crafted French fries). It's a dish I've wanted to try for a long time. I love mussels and good French fries.

PS The picture above was taken while I was in Venice, Italy. Isn't he gorgeous? I stood and watched him for the longest time.

6 comments:

Michael Dodd said...

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
I realize that is more appropriate for New Orleans, but I still wish you a safe trip with some rolling good times. Enjoy your visit with Jean-Luc.

Mistress Maddie said...

Have a wonderful and unforgettable trip and a safe Memorial Day. We will await your return with the juicy details.

Susan said...

Joe, drive safe going there and coming home, and in between have the time of your life in Montreal. <3

JiEL said...

I'm sure you'll want to come back because 2days isn't enough to really enjoy all what Montreal life can show you.

So many festival during all summer time.
Jazz festival, Just Laugh festival, during June Saturday evening we have the Loto Quebec fireworks contest and not to forget the Gay Pride.

I'm sure we'll have a nice chat at the Sky Pub tomorrow at 17h. Lot to tell you.

Drive safely and don't forget that we're on the metric system here. Limit speeds are in Km/h...LOL!

See you later alligator.

Adam said...

I'm glad you have this trip to enjoy. Montreal is on my list of places to visit, and like you, I would probably be traveling alone, so I'll be interested to read about your adventures. Enjoy the freedom. Enjoy the beauty of that city and the great people there. Be well.

BosGuy said...

Have fun. Montreal is a blast.