Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Eve


In our Christmas tradition, my whole family gathers on the night of Christmas Eve, then my immediate family gathers on the night of Christmas. Christmas Eve is just presents for the little ones and we have an assortment of finger foods. On Christmas morning, we go to my sister’s house to have breakfast and see what Santa Claus brought my niece and nephew. Then there will be a light lunch followed by the major dinner of the holidays. On Christmas night, we start out with shrimp cocktails.  Then we’ll have ham and turkey, chicken and dumplings, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans. We’ll finish off the meal with chocolate pie and sweet potato pie. My mother generally begins cooking days in advance so that she will have everything ready for Christmas night. Besides Thanksgiving, which I don’t get to come home for, this is my mother’s meal to show off her incredible cooking skills. My cooking skills are shown off next week at New Year’s Day, but more on that next week.

5 comments:

HuntleyBiGuy said...

All the comfort foods of our childhood surface around the holidays.

My wife’s family of Polish heritage will gather tonight, hopefully with the foods I’ve come to love, including pierogi, Polish sausage, and a slightly sour soup made from a base that has to ferment for a few days. I will bring a plate of my homemade cookies and a couple loaves of date ‘n nut bread.

My family will gather next Saturday and hopefully the rest of the 1800+ cookies I made will go home with my brothers and their families.

Everyone, cherish the connections you have with your friends and family. We never know what the morrow will bring.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Joe!

Susan said...

Sounds like a festive time will be had by all. Going to our parents for the holidays is so often associated with the food we loved growing up. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas, and most of all, a healthy and serene New Year. Take care, Joe. <3

Richard said...

My father's family has lived on the eastern shore of the DelMarVa Peninsula for over three centuries, so there's quite an accumulation of traditions associated with the celebration of the Saturnalia. The one I like the most we have observed since I was a small child: oyster stew on Christmas Eve. Oysters are, of course, plentifully abundant at this time of year, but I think the main reason that this tradition started was to get the kids into bed early and asleep. No lengthy food preparation required and the milk served as a soporific.

Even though I am now living by myself, I still honor this one, even though the price of oysters is now outrageous.


Joyeux Noel!

Dave R said...

Well, jingle my bells! You have a good Christmas. Enjoy the quiet times, they are the ones you will remember.

Anonymous said...

Please Santa visit me just like that i will be ready to answer the the door.