Thursday, February 13, 2014

TMI QUESTIONS: THE WINTER OLYMPICS


I don't do these TMI posts from Sean at Just A Jeep Guy every week, but on occasion, I see a topic that I can't resist. Since I've been wanting to do a post on the Olympics, this one was a no brainer. I wanted to answer the question. I hope you enjoy my answers.

THE WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES

In general (we'll get to the politics in a few) do you watch the Winter Olympics?

Yes, especially since nearly everything else on TV has been reruns.  I quite enjoy he spirit of the Olympics, not to mention that so many of the athletes are so impossibly good looking.

2. Winter or Summer?

I prefer the summer games, mainly because of men's swimming, diving, and gymnastics.  Though all the Lycra outfits are nice during the Winter Olympics, you just can't beat a speedo, unless they went back to the original "uniform" of the Olympics, which was to be nude.

3. What are your favorite winter events? Do you follow any of them outside the game?

Though I love figure skating, speed skating will always have a special place in my heart, because Dan Jansen was a hero of mine when I was younger.  I will never forget his gold at the 1994 Lillehammer Winter Olympics.  That being said, I do love watching figure skating.  It is one of the few women's sports that I enjoy almost as much as the men's competition.

4. Which sport needs to stay and which one needs to go?

I think most of the sports need to stay.  The only ones that I have a problem with is the snowboarding events.  I don't think it is an established enough sport to really be an Olympic event.  Now Curling, I don't understand at all, but it has a long history, so I don't think it should go, no matter how odd or boring it is.  I really can't think of an event that should be gone.

5. Which is the weirdest sport?

Curling is by far the weirdest sport.  Some might think the biathlon (skiing and shooting), but most sports have a basis in military training and this is by far the most obvious.

6. What is your POV on boycotting The Olympics by countries and or athletes?

I think that boycotting the Olympics is absolutely contrary to the meaning of the Olympics.  It is a time of peace and celebration, so for me, boycotting the Olympics is turning your back on the true spirit of the games.

7. Are you boycotting NBC or any Olympic sponsors?

No, I am not.

8. Do you think boycotts are effective?

No, I think that boycotts are not particularly effective unless it is done on a massive scale, and it's hard to get enough people to agree on an issue in order to protest it.

9. If you were an athlete what would you do?

This question can be answered on many levels:  

A) Would I boycott?  No, I would not, and I don't think it's fair to,ask athletes who've spent years training, to wait another four years, especially if they are at their peak.
B) What sport would I compete in? If I were fearless and in great shape, I'd probably be a ski jumper because it looks like they are flying.  Then again, that's a bit if, because I'm afraid of heights.
C) What would I do?  I'd use my charm and Olympic body to make gay sex an Olympic event.  Just kidding, but that would be fun.  There are lots of stories of bed hopping in the Olympic Villages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your answers. They parallel mine at jayinva.blogspot.com (shameless self promotion!). I got zero comments since 5AM when it went up. Hope you get more! These all are perfect!

Peace <3
Jay