Friday, December 21, 2012

Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!


Oh the weather outside is frightful, 
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
Y'all know that I live in the South, the Deep South, and we don't get snow often.  In fact, it snows very rarely here.  And though I know that many in the North hate the snow, I love it.  I am currently reading About Face by Donna Leon about the Venetian detective Commissario Guido Brunetti.  In Leon's books, Brunetti is either complaining about the heat and crowds in Venice in the summer, or about the cold winters of Venice. In About Face  it is the winters.  When I was in Venice, it was October, but it was cold and rainy.  I was a bit miserable the whole time, but I'd love to go back someday.  I was thinking about wanting to be in Venice yesterday, as I was reading About Face. In the book, Leon describes her detective walking through the streets of Venice when it begins to snow.  I thought of the picture above and about watching the movie The Wings of the Dove, based on the Henry James book, because of a scene that takes place in Venice during winter.  Venice is a beautiful city, but it must be absolutely breathtaking when it snows.

Anyone want to take me to Venice, Italy, this winter?



P.S. Hopefully, the world won't end today as the ancient Maya predicted.  I think the just stopped calculating their calendar assuming they would have time later. Procrastination...it scares the hell out of everyone, especially when a deadline is approaching.

2 comments:

Your host said...

Sending you festive greetings and wishing you happy holidays.

Anonymous said...

If I have to drive through snow in the WV mountains tomorrow, it's all your fault! HAHAHAHAHAHA
Is OK, I have 4WD and infinite patience.

Peace <3
Jay