Friday, August 26, 2011

Run Away...

Do you ever get the urge to just run away?  I'm sure I am not alone in this feeling from time to time.  When things just begin to pile up on you; everyone seems to be pulling you in a different direction; you have a ton of things to do, that all needed to be done yesterday; and you just wish there were four or five of you to get it all finished.  I have been having that feeling for the last few weeks, but I hope things are starting to settle down.  However, on the nights when I teach my college class, I pass the airport on my way home.  I seem to always be passing by when the last plane of the night is landing.  It's a regional airport, and I have been on that last flight into the airport several times.  Seeing that plane in the air, flying over, always gives me the urge to run away.  I always want to be on one of those planes that are leaving.  It doesn't matter where (though Italy would be nice), just to go somewhere and put the worries of life behind me for a few days.  It's actually a very odd feeling for me, to want to fly somewhere that is, because I am terrified of flying.  Anytime I fly, I have to take Xanax just to keep from having a panic attack.  Yet, I still wish I were in one of those planes.

When the stresses of life seem to be at their breaking point for you, what do you wish you could do?  And if you did run away, where would you go?

7 comments:

queer heaven said...

I did not really "run away" I "ran to" a new life when on the spur of the moment I sold everything, packed one bag and moved to Miami Beach. Life still has its problems, bur at least I am where I want to be.

Jacob Woods said...

I am running away to st. paul. The airport is near by. If things work out well for me, I will be long long gone a lot! I will be taking a lot of plane rides around the united states.

Anonymous said...

Selling the house and all the contents except for two suitcases to carry with me -- and heading to Spain! Great place there I have visited and have made friends as well. Not because I am running away from anything, but if I were to run it would be the same route.

Anonymous said...

I'm running away to Scottsdale, AZ, for the holiday weekend next week. Scottsdale and Miami Beach have become my go-to places for extended weekend getaways.

But what gets me through every week is my contra dance group. Nothing makes the cares of my world melt away like contra dancing to a live folk/bluegrass band.

Dan

fan of casey said...

Joe: Seattle . . . cool weather, Starbucks coffee, liberal culture. Come run away with me.

Eol said...

Every winter I have an urge to run away for a week so that I can go skiing in the Rockies. I never do, but it's all I think about for a month.

Whenever I do need to 'run away' from life, I usually just take a day trip. I'll go to some quaint town and stay at a local hotel or bed & breakfast. If I can, I make sure to try to stay near a wooded area so I can take a walk through Nature. It's amazing how quickly this can recharge my battery and calm my stress level.

Joe said...

QH, it's better to run to instead of run away.

Jacob, it sounds like you have a plan.

Silvereagle, I've always wanted to go to Spain.

LOL, Dan, that does sound like a nice way to run away.

FOC, I'd love to run away with you any day.

Eol, I need to take a day trip soon.