Sunday, May 20, 2012

Teacher Writes On Facebook That Being Gay Is 'The Same As Murder'

Jack Conkling, a Prairie Hills Middle School social studies teacher and Buhler High School assistant women's basketball coach in Buhler, Kan., is under fire after equating being gay to being a murderer on his Facebook profile, the Hutchinson News reports.

In his post, Conkling comments on gay marriage, writing that homosexuality "ranks in God's eyes the same as murder, lying, stealing, or cheating."

According to the paper, several of his students who were also his Facebook friends left comments on the post, something that led the school to eventually take notice.

"I wrote what I wrote for my Facebook friends who understand my heart and my intent," Conkling told the Hutchinson News. "I understand that there were some folks who didn't understand my heart, and while that's sad, it is what it is."

While the school district has no Facebook policy for its teachers, Craig Williams, the middle school's principal, said school officials are "looking into it."

In a news release, Kansas Equality Coalition Executive Director Thomas Witt condemned Conkling's public sentiments, saying it isolates students.

"What would Mr. Conkling say to a student who is getting bullied for being gay or lesbian," Witt said in the statement, according to the blog "Gay Star News."


The full text of Conkling's Facebook rant, courtesy of The Advocate:
"All this talk in the news about gay marriage recently has finally driven me to write. Gay marriage is wrong because homosexuality is wrong. The Bible clearly states it is sin. Now I do not claim it to be a sin any worse than other sins. It ranks in God's eyes the same as murder, lying, stealing, or cheating. His standards are perfect and ALL have sinned and fallen short of His glory. Sin is sin and we all deserve hell. Only those who accept Christ as Lord and daily with the help of the Spirit do their best to turn from sin will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. There aren't multiple ways to get to Heaven. There is one. To many this may seem close minded and antagonistic, but it doesn't make it any less true. Folks I am willing to admit that my depravity is just as great as anyone else's, and without Christ I'd be destined for hell, if not for the undeserved grace of God. I'm not condemning gay marriage because I hate gay people. I am doing it because those who embrace it will never enter the Kingdom of Heaven. And I desire that for no one."
As more are embracing social media as a regular method of communication and information sharing, school districts across the country are grappling with how to keep online interactions among students and teachers constructive.

States from Missouri to New York have adopted social media policies that prohibit or restrict communication between students and teachers on social media sites like Facebook -- regulations that have been met with mixed responses.

Greater online exposure has also heightened scrutiny of educators' personal lives and opinions, which sometimes puts those teachers' employment security at risk.

Viki Knox, a special education teacher in New Jersey, was investigated last fall for posting anti-gay comments on Facebook. She reportedly wrote on the site that homosexuality is "a perverted spirit that has existed from the beginning of creation," and a "sin" that "breeds like cancer."

Last fall, Florida teacher Jerry Buell was reassigned after an anti-gay Facebook post that denounced New York's decision to allow same-sex marriage. Buell wrote that he "almost threw up" when he heard the news.

"If they want to call it a union, go ahead," Buell wrote. "But don't insult a man and woman's marriage by throwing it in the same cesspool as same-sex whatever! God will not be mocked. When did this sin become acceptable???"

And in March, Christine Rubino, a teacher in New York, found herself under fire after posting to Facebook inflammatory comments about her students. A day after a Harlem girl drowned at a New York area beach, Rubino suggested that her students should take a beach trip. "I hate their guts," she wrote, according to the New York Post.

It's so sad to me when people like this are educating America's children. We need to be teaching love and acceptance, not perpetuating hate. I have a strict policy that I follow when it comes to Facebook, I do not 'friend' students, nor do I accept their friend requests. Once the graduate or no longer attend my school, I will reconsider. However, not all of our teachers have this policy. Some use Facebook extensively, mostly to gather gossip. No matter what someone believes, Facebook should not allow people to perpetuate hate. What Jack Conkling did was highly inappropriate; now, we will have to see what the administrators at his school does.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you Joe. It seems that some story like this hits the papers every day. You can call it free speech, but when you are held up to a higher standard, and expected to be an example to students, you had better hold yourself up to that standard. I just cannot figure out why these people will accept that there are cures for diseases that were created by science, etc., etc., yet they will not accept that homosexuality is NOT a choice, it is NOT caused by something someone consciously does to change themselves. I consider these people small-minded, close-minded, and quite frankly, no matter the number of letters like BA, MA, or PhD after their name, uneducated.

Peace <3
Jay

Anonymous said...

But I'm sick of "political correctness" and what it's doing to manners in America and Europe, as well as to free speech. If I were a parent, and I discovered that my child was "friending" or being "friended" by one of his or her teachers on Facebook, there'd be hell to pay, both for the teacher, as well as my child. And it's none of any school district's business if some student finds a teacher's public blog or facebook page, and objects to what the teacher has to say. It should be understood that "social media" of a PRIVATE CITIZEN are for the private citizen's friends and acquaintances. A teacher has a right to a private life, and to expressions of personal opinions to members of that private life.

Transgender Dating Site said...

I like this concept. I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan. Keep posting as I am gonna come to read it everyday.