Thursday, July 7, 2016

Heat Wave



For most of the country, it's hot. Even here in Vermont, yesterday was hot. It got up to 91 according to my car's external temperature thermometer. Luckily, we will get down to the 70s and 80s later in the week. My mother called yesterday to see what the temperature was like up here. I told her it was hot but nothing like at home where the temperature is 97-99 degrees. God only knows (and the weatherman) what the heat index was like. Their lows for the next ten days is 72-73, while that will be our high come Saturday. While yesterday was hot in Vermont, we only get that one or two days every couple of weeks. I'm not complaining, except I don't have an air conditioner at home. Thankfully, the museum is air conditioned.

The reason my mom called is because she and my niece are coming to visit next week. She wanted to know how to pack. I didn't tell her what everyone tells me, "If you don't like the weather in Vermont, wait fifteen minutes and it will be completely different." While that is an exaggeration, it's not much of one. The weathermen never predict the weather correctly. They can tell you what it's currently like outside, but that's as good as it gets. The weather is constantly changing. The forecast shows thunderstorms for the next four days, but it rained last night and it likely won't even rain at all. And what passes as a thunderstorm here is nothing like what I've experienced in the South. What they call a thunderstorm is technically a thunder storm because of the thunder but the rain is what I'd consider a light rain, nothing more.

Anyone who doesn't believe in global warming has not experienced Vermont for the past nine months. The winter was mild, and the summer has been hot. I guess there were a few perfect days in what passed as spring here. Winter though was not that bad. Dress appropriately and there was nothing to fear. Summer has been something entirely different. I dress nice for work everyday, which usually means a long sleeve shirt. As soon as I get home to my un-air conditioned apartment, the pants come off and a t-shirt is put on. If I didn't have the windows up, I'd probably just go naked the whole time I was home, but decency keeps me from showing the world the horrors of me being naked.

2 comments:

Susan said...

As I write these words, my air conditioner already has been on for an hour. NYC is in day 2 of a predicted 4-day 90+ degree heat wave. I hope you continue not to need a/c at home. Don't forget, your newest housemate walks around in fur all day. :)

Ambrose said...

Wow, I had no idea that Vermont, of all places, got so hot. When I think of Vermont, I think of maple syrup and Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream. Seems like the best course of action is to crank up the AC like I do in the summer and stay inside with some of the Ben and Jerry's!