Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Yesterday



Yesterday was not a good day. First of all, for the past few days, I’ve had a toothache when I lie down at night. It doesn’t really hurt any other time. Sunday night, the pain stopped and I thought all was okay. Then on Monday night, the pain was back. I didn't have a choice but to call my dentist and make an appointment. Luckily, they were able to get me in right away. They did an x-ray of the tooth. Underneath the filling I just had done a few weeks ago, there was s huge cavity that had grown into the pulp of my tooth. The only way to eliminate the pain is to do a root canal. However, I have to wait until April 30 to do anything about it. So that’s how my morning started out.

Then I got two emails. One asked me to do an oral history on a 90-year-old alumnus. The problem is not doing an oral history; that is still part of my job description. The problem is when he’s in Vermont, I am not. So it looks like I may have to go to New Jersey for the interview. The trip may or may not involve a funeral.  In the second one, the speaker I had hoped to get for an event in November can't make it for the dates we need. This is my third try at a speaker. So I am back to square one. We do have an alumnus who is the head of a major Washington museum whom my boss is trying to get instead. It turns out, though, he has to go through our Development Office first. That’s just one more delay.

I also realized how much I still have to do before I leave for Alabama on Sunday.

On top of all that, I had a migraine for most of the day.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am confused...Set me straight -well- you had a cavity underneath a tooth that they worked on a few weeks ago...I am paying attention...That does not make sense...I was told by a dentist that cavities take a long time to develop...They just don't appear in two weeks and cause issues...It is my experience that a dentist will do xrays...Examine them closely and develop a treatment plan...Should your recent findings been discovered when they did the filling...You remove the cavity...Prep...And then fill...When things are too deep they recommend a root canal...I was told by a dentist once to never let anyone pull your teeth...Of course, wisdom teeth are an exception...Just putting it out there...

Joe said...

My dentist was trying to prevent a root canal. The tooth originally had a filling fall out. There was a cavity there that he tried to get all of but apparently did not. It was already a really deep hole when he filled it. When he missed part of the cavity, it continued to grow into the pulp which it was close to anyway. I looked at the original and new x-ray and could see the cavity in both. By the way, certain medicine, especially the antibiotic Cipro can cause cavities to grow very fast. As far as I know, none of my medicines have that effect, it’s just that the cavity was still there with a filling over it.

bignate said...

Ugh, tooth pain is the worst. I hope you feel better soon

Joe B said...

Hang in there Joe, I've been down that exact same road and I know it's not any fun. One thing that helped me with the pain until I had the root canal was rinsing with a 50 / 50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide. It doesn't taste very good but it does help ease the pain. And i'd trade the bad taste for pain relief any day.