Thursday, August 26, 2021

Cooking vs. Baking

I can cook most anything. Sometimes, I use a recipe, but sometimes I don’t. However, baking is a different story. Other than cookies, I’ve never been much of a baker. I can make a very tasty coconut custard pie, but I inevitably overfill the pie crust and it overflows when cooking and causes a hell of a mess. Before i go further, let me explain what I think of as the difference between cooking and baking. For me, cooking usually refers to a savory dish that you eat as part of a meal, whereas baking is sweets or desserts made in the oven, such as cookies, cakes, or pies. For a more detailed and precise definition of the two, see this article about “Cooking vs Baking.” Cooking is an art, while baking is more of a science. With cooking, you can experiment with the ingredients to make the dish a creation of your own, and the variations can be endless. Baking, however, requires exact measurements. The order in which ingredients are added is also often a factor in baking. While I can follow a recipe just fine, I’ve often not been very successful with more elaborate cakes. Cookies and pies, I’ve pretty much mastered. The exception is pound cakes.

 

I have been craving a good pound cake for a few days now, and I plan to make one. But, what kind should I make? My mother is a master at cake making, and while measurements have to be exact during baking, my grandmama could make most of her cakes with her eyes closed. Also, pound cakes are usually a pretty simple recipe with only four ingredients and one measurement: a pound each of butter, flour, sugar, and eggs. But there are many variations of the pound cake: classic, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, etc. I love a good buttery pound cake, but my favorite is a brown sugar pound cake, so that s what I plan to make, a Brown Sugar Pecan Pound Cake. I doubt I’ll have the energy to make one after work tonight, and I probably won’t make one tomorrow night. However, this weekend is supposed to be cool (our high Saturday is 65) and rainy, so what better day to make a cake and have the oven on for over an hour. 

 

This recipe is a Southern twist on a classic. I’ve never made this particular recipe. It comes from dinnerthendessert.com,which claimed that this Brown Sugar Pecan Pound Cake is rich, moist and full of pecan crunch and takes just over an hour to cook. I’ll let you know how it turns out.



Brown Sugar Pecan Pound Cake

 

Prep Time: 10 min 

Cook Time: 1 hr 

Serves: 12 Servings

 

Ingredients

·      3/4 cup Unsalted Butter

·      1 cup Brown Sugar, (packed)

·      1/2 cup Sugar

·      3 large Eggs

·      1 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

·      1/2 cup Whole Milk

·      1 1/2 cups Flour

·      1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder

·      1/4 teaspoon Salt

·      1 cup Chopped Pecans

 

Preparation Steps 

1.     Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray.

2.     In a stand mixer on medium high speed, add together the butter, brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.

3.     Add in the eggs one at a time until fully combined, then add in the vanilla.

4.     Add in the milk and flour, baking powder and salt (alternate them in thirds) until just combined.

5.     Add in all but a handful of the chopped pecans and stir.

6.     Pour batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle on the rest of the pecans.

7.     Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

6 comments:

Adam said...

I agree with your distinctions between cooking and baking, and I enjoy elements of both. I'm just not so good at cleaning up after either one. But I usually enjoy the results of my labors. Cooking can provide a tasty meal, but there's nothing like baking something sweet. It's even better when I can share it with friends or family.

The richness of a great pound cake is hard to beat. I'll be watching for your review of this recipe.

uvdp said...

With the Quatre-quart , I recommend the green tomato jam :
1kg of green tomatoes , 1 lemon , 800g of sugar

STEP 1
Clean and dry the green tomatoes and lemons, then cut them into thin slices.

2ND STEP
Arrange the tomatoes and lemons in a terrine, alternating layers, then sprinkle them with sugar between each layer.

STEP 3
Leave to macerate for 24 hours, the time for the fruit to juice.

STEP 4
The next day, pour everything into a jam bowl, bring to the boil slowly, then cook for 2 hours, stirring with a wooden spoon.

STEP 5
Skim, check that the preparation has the consistency of jam, then pour it into the jars and let cool.

STEP 6
Enjoy the jam on toasted bread slices or as an accompaniment to roasted meats.


Bonne dégustation

VRCooper said...

Joe hoeny,

I can COOK almost anything. I follow a recipe and may tweak it here and there. I am a simple cook. It's just me. Now, I have been known to put on the dog. I know basic stuff by heart. Let's just say I won't starve. When I was a manager my staff knew I would bring the main dish. They wanted me to fix turkey, chile, ham, spaghetti... "Victor, can you make..."

Now BAKING is another story. That is my jam. I used to bake a lot when I was younger. I can bake ANYTHING. I was known for my cookies, pies breads-coffee cakes. I made a mean cream cheese pecan pie. Oh yes, Dutch crumb apple pie. Yes, the pie crust was from scratch.

I like your definition of cooking and baking. I can see why I fall into the baking category. I like things exactly. Yes, I can be anal. No, not that. I have a friend who is a great cook. He knows about spices and which ones to use to bring out the best flavors in food and how they work with each other. I just know the basics.

The Sugar Pecan Pound Cake is right up my alley. I like simple baked goods. I don't care for things overly sweet, sugary, fillings. I hate a lot of frosting on things. I have been known to scape it off with just a little smear remaining. When I lived in Germany for two years I loved their baked goods. The Germans relied more on flavor instead of sugar. Here in America, it has to be a sugar bomb. Just remember you can make several of the loaves and freeze them. Slice them up into servings and freeze them as well. You can have them as a treat and or when friends come to visit you will have something ready to go with coffee/tea.

Be well,

Victor
X0



Tex said...

Hello, Joe. I enjoy cooking and baking. Like you, I also enjoy a good pound cake. My favorites are sour cream and I have an old cookbook whose recipe for a pound cake is called "Old Fashioned Pound Cake." It's delicious.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Doréus said...

I was like you, enthusiast cook but reluctant baker, until I discovered Stephanie Jaworski's The Joy of Baking website. Not only are the recipes almost fool-proof, but they follow some core principles that, once mastered, allow you the same kind of experimentation as one does cooking. Her modified pound cake recipe has made many happy desserts hereabouts.

Anonymous said...

Soet koeke in die kombuis op meer as een manier - Sweet cakes in the kitchen in more ways than one :)

- Praetorius