Monday, August 30, 2021

Weekend Recap


My heart goes out to those who are suffering from the aftermath of Hurricane Ida. Hurricanes can be so devastating, and the loss of electricity at this time of year for those in the hurricane’s path can be deadly. With a lack of air conditioning, the heat and the humidity can be overwhelming in a hurricane’s aftermath, not to mention the massive number of bugs that are pushed ashore from storms like these. In the days after Katrina, the love bugs were so numerous that you couldn’t always see more than twenty feet in front of you. The love bugs are the harmless ones. The mosquitoes and gnats and all the other creepy crawlies will be everywhere. They are mostly a nuisance, the devastation that comes from wind, flooding, and tornadoes is much worse. So, the people in the path of Hurricane Ida are in my prayers.

I had a really bad migraine day yesterday. I’m hoping to wake up this morning with less pain than yesterday. It was one of the worst migraines I’ve had in years. At times, the pain brought tears to my eyes. Thankfully, I go for my next Botox treatment on Thursday. I’m hoping I will see improvement because I think the last treatment has worn off. I’m not looking forward to the procedure, but I am looking forward to the effects of it. I really hope it helps. Migraines with the addition of the trigeminal neuralgia pain can be overwhelming at times, and I need some relief.

I had short periods when I was able to be slightly productive. I made the brown sugar pecan pound cake I spoke of the other day. I made one on Saturday, but it did not turn out as well as I expected. Putting the pecans on top as the recipe called for, caused me to mistakenly believe it was completely done (the toothpick did come out clean). As it cooled, I realized that it was not done in the middle, so yesterday, when I had a short time with tolerable pain, I made another one. It turned out much better partly because I cooked it longer, but also because I mixed all of the pecans in the batter. It’s almost too sweet for my tastes, but it was good. I wouldn’t have made another yesterday, except that I’d promised my friend and neighbor that I’d give her half the cake when it was made. I was embarrassed and wouldn’t give her part of the failed cake. I didn’t want to admit defeat, so I made another one.

It wasn’t the greatest of weekends, but I hope the week will be better. Work should not be too bad this week (fingers crossed/knock on wood). I’m off work Thursday for my Botox treatment, and I’m taking a vacation day Friday so I can be refreshed and have plenty of time to get ready for the Pride Ball in Burlington that night. Sunday will be the annual Vermont Pride Parade down Church Street in Burlington. It most likely won’t be a big parade. They never are. They only last about 20-30 minutes, but they are fun. So, I have that to look forward to this weekend.

3 comments:

BosGuy said...

Sorry to read about the return of the migraine. I do hope the botox treatment helps you.

Out of curiosity, was there ever any follow up with the guy you had that fun date with who apparently is quite the cook? Curious if there was ever another date or if there remains an interest on your part?

Joe said...

BosGuy, I texted him to follow-up and said how much I enjoyed our time together. He said he had enjoyed it too and was telling a friend about what a "pleasure it was to spend an afternoon and evening with such a true southern gentleman." I then texted back that I'd love to get together again soon and that maybe he'd let me take him to dinner somewhere. He never responded to that message, and I have not heard from him since. I had to assume that he was not interested. Also, I am not one to chase someone. I'll give a guy a chance or two, but then if I am not getting a response, I tend to give up. I was definitely interested in at least a friendship, but he didn't seem to want a relationship of any kind. Oh well...

VRCooper said...

Joe,

Yes, the guy should the least acknowledge your message. I agree with you. I will try at least two times to communicate. I don't chase. And I don't stalk.

I'm glad the bread came out right the second time.

Feel better and enjoy your 4 day weekend.

Best,

Victor