Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Three Poems by Timothy Liu


Blind Date

By Timothy Liu

 

He slept with his back

towards me, a ladder
I’d learn to climb

even if it took till dawn—

we who wanted to live
past the expiration

date that was printed

on the condom wrapper
neither of us had

wanted to tear open—

 

Do Not Disturb

By Timothy Liu

 

Offshore salt lapping up against a lighthouse flashing red,
my husband next to me in a waterbed by the sea

with “Do Not Disturb” signs hung on every door—

my lover on the other side of the ocean, unable to tell
if the fog will roll out as the day’s first headlights

make their way down a coastal road as he texts me

a face I cannot touch, a mystical rose that keeps its own
scent. What good would it do to say I miss him

when saying nothing makes me miss him all the more?

 

I Need Your Body Near Me

By Timothy Liu

 

An ocean is nothing, there is no separation
between two lovers. And I knew just what

it took: six hours, two meals with a movie
in between, blinders over eyes, plugs in ears

as I tried to get some sleep. When I awoke,
I knew I’d crossed more than a time zone

for my body was always nearer to yours
than anyone else’s still sleeping in your bed—

 


About the Poet

 

Timothy Liu (Liu Ti Mo) was born in 1965 in San Jose, California, to parents from the Chinese mainland. He studied at Brigham Young University, the University of Houston, and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

 

He is the author of Luminous Debris: New & Selected Legerdemain 1992-2017 (Barrow Street Books, 2018); Kingdom Come: A Fantasia (Talisman House, 2017); Don't Go Back To Sleep (Saturnalia, 2014); Polytheogamy (Saturnalia, 2009); Bending the Mind Around the Dream’s Blown Fuse (Talisman House, 2009); For Dust Thou Art (Southern Illinois University Press, 2005); Of Thee I Sing (University of Georgia Press, 2004), selected by Publishers Weekly as a 2004 Book-of-the-Year; Hard Evidence (Talisman House, 2001); Say Goodnight (Copper Canyon Press, 1998); Burnt Offerings (Copper Canyon Press, 1995); and Vox Angelica (Alice James Books, 1992), which won the Poetry Society of America's Norma Farber First Book Award.

 

About Liu's work, the poet Fanny Howe has said, "Timothy Liu writes out of an angry materialism, ill-fitting body, disappointment at every turn. He takes on his point of view wholeheartedly and compresses the consequences into phrases that echo and mimic each other, thereby increasing the sensation of claustrophobia and fever."

 

Liu’s honors and awards include a Pushcart Prize and the Open Book Beyond Margins Award. He is also the editor of Word of Mouth: An Anthology of Gay American Poetry, (Talisman House, 2000).

 

He has served as a core faculty member at Bennington College’s Writing Seminars and is currently an associate professor at William Paterson University. He lives in Manhattan.

8 comments:

Susan said...

Lovely poems. Thank you, Joe. <3

uvdp said...

Il n'a pas été traduit en Français , sniff ...

Joe said...

uvdp, this is probably a very rough translation because I ran it through Google Translate, but here you go (uvdp, il s'agit probablement d'une traduction très approximative car je l'ai exécutée sur Google Translate, mais voilà):

Rendez-vous à l'aveugle
Par Timothy Liu

Il dormait avec le dos
vers moi, une échelle
j'apprendrais à grimper
même s'il a fallu jusqu'à l'aube—
nous qui voulions vivre
passé l'expiration
date qui a été imprimée
sur l'emballage du préservatif
aucun de nous n'avait
voulait déchirer—

Ne pas déranger
Par Timothy Liu

Le sel au large clapotant contre un phare clignotant en rouge,
mon mari à côté de moi dans un lit à eau au bord de la mer
avec des panneaux « Ne pas déranger » accrochés à chaque porte—
mon amant de l'autre côté de l'océan, incapable de dire
si le brouillard se déploiera comme les premiers phares de la journée
se frayent un chemin sur une route côtière alors qu'il m'envoie un texto
un visage que je ne peux pas toucher, une rose mystique qui garde la sienne
flairer. A quoi bon dire qu'il me manque
quand ne rien dire me manque encore plus ?

J'ai besoin de ton corps près de moi
Par Timothy Liu

Un océan n'est rien, il n'y a pas de séparation
entre deux amants. Et je savais exactement quoi
ça a pris : six heures, deux repas avec un film
entre les deux, des œillères sur les yeux, des bouchons d'oreilles
pendant que j'essayais de dormir. Quand je me suis réveillé,
Je savais que j'avais traversé plus d'un fuseau horaire
car mon corps était toujours plus près du tien
que quiconque dort encore dans ton lit—


À propos du poète

Timothy Liu (Liu Ti Mo) est né en 1965 à San Jose, en Californie, de parents chinois. Il a étudié à l'Université Brigham Young, à l'Université de Houston et à l'Université du Massachusetts à Amherst.

Il est l'auteur de Luminous Debris: New & Selected Legerdemain 1992-2017 (Barrow Street Books, 2018); Kingdom Come : A Fantasia (Talisman House, 2017) ; Ne vous rendormez pas (Saturnalia, 2014); Polythéogamie (Saturnalia, 2009) ; Bending the Mind Around the Dream’s Blown Fuse (Talisman House, 2009); Pour Dust Thou Art (Southern Illinois University Press, 2005); Of Thee I Sing (University of Georgia Press, 2004), sélectionné par Publishers Weekly comme livre de l'année 2004; Preuve tangible (Talisman House, 2001); Dites bonne nuit (Copper Canyon Press, 1998); Offrandes brûlées (Copper Canyon Press, 1995); et Vox Angelica (Alice James Books, 1992), qui a remporté le Norma Farber First Book Award de la Poetry Society of America.

À propos de l'œuvre de Liu, la poétesse Fanny Howe a déclaré : « Timothy Liu écrit à partir d'un matérialisme en colère, d'un corps mal ajusté, d'une déception à chaque tournant. autre, augmentant ainsi la sensation de claustrophobie et de fièvre."

Les honneurs et récompenses de Liu comprennent un prix Pushcart et le prix Open Book Beyond Margins. Il est également l'éditeur de Word of Mouth: An Anthology of Gay American Poetry (Talisman House, 2000).

Il a été membre principal du corps professoral des séminaires d'écriture du Bennington College et est actuellement professeur agrégé à l'Université William Paterson. Il vit à Manhattan.

Faites-moi savoir à quoi ressemble la traduction.

uvdp said...

Merci beaucoup , c'est trop gentil . Thank you for taking the time to translate. I know the google translator , I am using here.
Maybe in Vermont, near Quebec, do you understand French ?
Automatic translation gives rough text, poems are even more difficult to translate.
The translation by Deepl is much better , for the first poem :

Il dormait avec son dos
vers moi, une échelle
que je devais apprendre à gravir
même si ça prenait jusqu'à l'aube.
nous qui voulions vivre
au-delà de la date d'expiration
qui était imprimée
sur l'emballage du préservatif
qu'aucun de nous n'avait
ne voulait déchirer l'emballage.

I did not understand well the poem in French and English.
I dare to suggest some punctuation changes

He slept with his back
towards me ( a ladder
I’d learn to climb
even if it took till dawn )

We who wanted to live
past the expiration
date that was printed
on the condom wrapper
neither of us had ,
wanted to tear open .

Bonne journée sans migraine .

Joe said...

You’re welcome, uvdp. I wish I knew French. In school I studied Spanish not French, and though I did a study abroad class in France, French has always been a very difficult language for me. I do better with hearing it and can usual get the main topic of the conversation but I miss a lot of the details. Reading and speaking French has always been more difficult time. Also, when I go to Montreal, most people are bilingual and so I’ve never had a problem with a language barrier there.

As for the poem, I think he is talking about spooning when he says “his back towards me.” The second stanza is saying we used a condom because they do not want to get HIV (live past the expiration date); however, they did not want to use a condom.

De rien, uvdp. J'aimerais bien connaître le français. À l'école, j'ai étudié l'espagnol, pas le français, et bien que j'aie suivi un cours à l'étranger en France, le français a toujours été une langue très difficile pour moi. Je m'en sors mieux en l'entendant et je peux généralement saisir le sujet principal de la conversation, mais je rate beaucoup de détails. Lire et parler le français a toujours été plus difficile. De plus, lorsque je vais à Montréal, la plupart des gens sont bilingues et je n'ai jamais eu de problème de barrière linguistique là-bas.

En ce qui concerne le poème, je pense qu'il parle de se faire des câlins quand il dit "son dos vers moi". La deuxième strophe dit que nous avons utilisé un préservatif parce qu'ils ne veulent pas contracter le VIH (vivre au-delà de la date d'expiration) ; cependant, ils ne voulaient pas utiliser de préservatif.

Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator (version gratuite)

BosGuy said...

Really loved the poems, but my favorite is, I need your body near me.

uvdp said...

As for me, I studied English for 12 years and I am not able to speak it: the pronunciation is too difficult.
It's "ladder" that I have a hard time interpreting ; this is what I understand: "his back that I should learn to stroke"

Joe said...

Honestly, I am not sure how to interpret "ladder" in this context, uvdp. Maybe it's that it's an obstacle to get over. I'm just not sure.