Thursday, December 30, 2021

The Stages of Annoyance



Disclaimer: This post is in total jest. 

I love Isabella, and she seems to love me. However, it’s very hard not to interpret her expressions or even to laugh at some of them. She is probably more full of expressions than any cat I’ve ever had. When she knows I’m about to leave my apartment, usually because I’m getting out of the shower and that means I’m probably going somewhere, she looks up at me with total adoration. She purrs and “talks” to me. She also has that look when I come home. While many cats show annoyance when you come home after you’ve been away (my previous cat did that), Isabella can’t seem to get enough of me when I come home. Eventually, she’ll settle down and usually go to sleep. Most of her expressions, though, show when I have displeased her. If you’ve ever owned a cat, you know the stages of annoyance, even if it’s just the way they move their ears or the way they bite or scratch you, which Isabella can be guilty of at times, but mostly, she really is a very loving cat.

Isabella’s Stages of Annoyance


Stage 1: Opens her eyes just enough to see what’s going on.



Stage 2: “What do you want? You woke me up, it had better be important.”



Stage 3: “Okay, okay, I’m awake now. If you don’t want anything, I’ll go back to sleep.”



Stage 4: The warning, “You may not live through the night for this insolence.”



Stage 5: The final stage is always more sleep.



And, yes, sometimes, she just act like a crazy creature. She gets that look in her eyes that says, “I’m crazy.” Sometimes, she even still chases her tail. While we’ll never know what our pets are thinking, the expressions they make can be quite fun to try and figure out what’s going through their little brains.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She looks lovely, she must be great fun. Enjoy her.

uvdp said...

Cats are like women who have smaller brains than men; they are both incomprehensible sometimes.

JiEL said...

I have 4 cats and each of them have special behaviors but they are mostly very affectionnate.
The most affectionate is Adam, a real glue pot.
Lee Lou my only female is also affectionate but in her own ways. She is always spending all night on the covers by my side. Special behavior, she will follow me in the bathroom seconds after I'll be sitting on the toilet.. I don't know how she sens it but even when sleeping at the other end of my large appartment she will know and come ASAP.

My two siamese cats are twins and their stomach are leading them... LOL!
One of them, Gaël is and affective dependant over Adam and he will follow him most of the time. If he don't see Adam he will meow as loud as siamese do.

Be safe and have a Happy New Year filled with Peace, Love and Health.

Jean Luc, Montreal.

Susan said...

Joe, it is apparent whatever her mood Isabella does not know how not to look adorable. You are so fortunate to have her companionship. Wishing you both the best in 2022. Take care.

taurusd2 said...

Isabella looks exactly like the cat I used to have, and the look in the eyes is the same :-) Eventually, he would go on a terror and chase his tail, run through the house, and over the piano keys when we would forget to close the lid. What fun. He knew how to get our attention and we would laugh until he would finally calm down and sit in front of us to meow meekly for a treat. Aren't they a delight? We called it "cat crazy day." Have a happy new year.