Friday, December 3, 2021

Busy


Yesterday was a busy day, and by the time I was able to stop and write my post for today, it was nearly 11 pm, well past my usual bedtime on a work night. I’d planned to write my post earlier in the day because I had finally remembered what I had planned to write for Thursday’s post. However, I was busy yesterday morning at work and couldn’t work on it then, and I took yesterday afternoon off to run some errands. The errands took longer than I had expected and by the time I got home, it was time to cook dinner. 

I’d found an interesting recipe for Wintertime Braised Beef Stew that I wanted to try out. It was a unique take on beef stew and I thought I’d try it. I’m always trying to improve on my recipe, but I think I’m going to give up on that quest. My simple beef stew recipe from my mother is still the best. Stew beef, potatoes, carrots, and onions cooked in a rich beef stock is far better than anything else I’ve tried. I know some people add celery, but I use celery salt because I hate cooked celery. Other people add peas at the end, but I’m not a fan of that either.I’ve read a few recipes that use red wine to make the stew richer and more robust in flavor. I tend to think it makes it too robust. The one thing I have found that I just can’t handle is putting tomatoes in a beef stew, like the recipe for the Wintertime Braised Beef Stew called for. I do flour and season the stew beef before browning it, which makes for a thicker broth, and honestly, the simple tried but true recipe is still the best.

Anyway, I’ve had a few ideas for posts that I’ll write for next week. I hope y’all will enjoy them. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. Until then, I hope all of you have a wonderful Friday and a good weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mothers' recipes are usually the best. Cooking is much tastier when it is simple.
I will look for the recipe for stewed meat typical of my land and send it to you.
Today in Spain begins a long weekend that will end on the 9th. There are several celebrations (Constitution Day on the 6th and the feast of the Virgin of the Immaculate Conception, patron saint of Spain).
Ángel

BosGuy said...

Sounds like the perfect recipe for wintertime in VT.
I just had a conversation with someone yesterday about how much my diet and what I cook changes with the seasons. The colder winter months have me cooking more comfort food that include heavier sauces.

uvdp said...

1 / For a good hygiene of life you have to go to bed early and always at the same time . It is better not to publish anything than to endanger your health .
2/ Tomato is a summer vegetable . So thanks for the climate : do not use it in winter