Thursday, July 8, 2021

Recalculating

Sometimes you've got to let everything go—purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything... whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.

—Tina Turner 

For most of my life, I tried to be the person other people wanted me to be. I tried to live up to other’s expectations, especially my parents. I tried to be more myself when I lived in Mississippi when I was in graduate school, but I was never fully able to be me. The main reason I struggled was because I did not love myself. I knew I was gay, but even back then, I didn’t fully accept it. I knew I’d never marry a woman because it would not be fair for me or her, and it would only make other people happy. It would never make me truly happy, and I’d have continued to hate myself. As Lucille Ball said, “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line.” It took moving to Vermont before I could really begin to love myself. For the past eighteen months, I have not seen my family. I have spoken to them over the phone, and even over the phone they can make my blood boil, but being away from them for the past year and half has helped me heal in ways I never thought was possible.

 

Carol Burnett once said, “Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.” Her words are so very true. Others can try to mold me and make me into what they want me to be, but only I can change to my life. While I haven’t gotten rid of my family (I will still go home this Christmas), I have done my best to get rid of their negativity. I haven’t completely purged myself of caring what they think, but I’m on my way there. The unhappiness in my life was bringing me down, but as I have lived a freer and fuller life 1,200 miles from Alabama, I have begun to let my “true self come out.” It’s still a journey, a journey that I’m not sure will ever end in this life, but it is a journey we all take to find our true self. We just have to keep trudging along on that path and listen to that internal GPS that guides us to our destination.

 

Yes, sometimes we will miss a turn (such as an opportunity) or we make a wrong turn (a bad decision), but that internal GPS can recalculate our route. We all can hear that familiar voice in our head saying “recalculating route” when we didn’t follow the directions correctly. Sometimes, we can only carry on and let our internal GPS continue recalculating until we finally reach our destination. Many times we are traveling through life with people telling us what to do. If we are unfamiliar with the a situation, we allow others, much like a GPS, to guide us. But does the GPS always provide us the best route? Maybe, maybe not. Do people always provide us the best advice? Maybe, maybe not. I think that no matter what, one must listen to their own GPS and allow others to offer suggestions but ultimately, we must decide our own path and journey.

5 comments:

George Safford said...

Your story is so like my own. At 37 I finally accepted being gay but was already married with two kids. 13 years later my wife and I agreed to divorce. By then the kids were in college (one had just graduated, the other a sophomore). The kids came with me to a new home and I rebuilt my life. At 50. 6 years later I found the man of my dreams. We have been together 21+ years and legally married for 5+. Loving self first is the key to what you said and it is for me as well. Hard learned lesson of life.

BosGuy said...

Self acceptance is all part of the coming out experience. You can be out but not fully comfortable with who you are, but you are only a shadow of your true self until you can embrace and love yourself.

Butch 57 said...

Very good yes listen yo your self it will be the truth and be truthful with your self. I’ve gave the same internal conflict.

VRCooper said...

Hey Joe,

Good on you!

That is what life is all about-growing, falling, getting back up, and being a better you according to YOU.

Instead of GPS why not expand that view to finding YOUR true North Star. That true north star is within. Life may give you a tumble but we get up and recalibrate and head towards OUR true North Star.

Life is exciting. Life can be a learning experience. Life can be shit. But as long as we stay true to ourselves we are set. Finding what works for you is exciting.

Continue to love yourself.

Best,

Victor
XO

Blobby said...

with my parents gone I've been able to purge 2.5 sisters from my life. It. has. been. bliss. In a way, I'm sorry I'll never know when / if their kids get married or what they'll do in life. Maybe one day they'll reach out to me, but most likely they've been poisoned against me, and that is collateral damage, but it is something with which I can live.