Monday, July 26, 2021

The Dinner Date


My date Saturday cooked me dinner. It was originally supposed to be an early dinner, which I thought meant 5 pm or 6 pm at the latest. However, we did a lot of talking over coffee first, and he started cooking dinner around 7 pm. The had decided he wanted to grill and air- or dry-steak. Dry-aged beef is apparently known for its richer flavor and more tender texture than its fresh-cut counterparts. We went to a butcher shop near his house to get the steak cut fresh. Apparently, it is best to have a thick cut of meat, in this case about 1.5”, instead of two thinner steaks. I’ll be honest here, when I saw it, the steak did not look that appetizing. In fact, it looked like it had gone bad, but that’s because a lot of the moisture is taken out of it, similar to the curing process for prosciutto. I do love a good steak, so I kept an open mind.

 

He also roasted some root vegetables—carrots and parsnips—and sautéed some greens, which included collard and Swiss chard. He finished the greens with a balsamic sesame reduction. There was also a cucumber and tomato salad in a tasty yogurt (I think anyway) dill dressing. Everything was perfectly prepared, and while the steak was more rare than I normally prefer, the taste was divine. It was only seasoned with a little salt and pepper before it was grilled, but the taste was pure steak. Unless you’ve had dry-aged beef, I cannot describe just how good this was. The roasted root vegetables and the greens were also very good.

 

The whole meal was fantastic. My cooking is usually more on the simple southern cooking side, though I can make a few high end dishes. This was more on the gourmet side, and he obviously enjoyed cooking for someone else. I felt honored that he made me such a meal. We ended the night with a simple blueberry cherry parfait with layers of whipped cream and Mascarpone mixture. 

 

As I was leaving, I told him how much I’d enjoyed the museum, the conversation and company, the the delicious meal. I also told him I hoped I’d see him again. He said that we’d definitely see each other again and that he had a wonderful times as well. Now, the question is do I text him and if so, when? Or do I wait and let him make the next move? I have never been good at this part of a first date. I have tried both approaches and I’ve rarely gotten a second date. Only three or four times in my life have I gotten multiple dates. I just don’t know.

 

Also, because I was there until nearly midnight, I fear that I overstayed my welcome, but one friend told me that you don’t talk for ten solid hours if you didn’t like the person. I really enjoyed talking to him and spending time with him. He’s a very nice man, so I guess time will tell if this will be a friendship, a romantic relationship, or if it will just fizzle away. I do hope it’s friendship or romance, but time will tell.

13 comments:

David said...

Definitely text him. At least, that's my method. And it worked - we have been together for 14 years and married for 10. And congratulations on a super date!

Anonymous said...

My thought: Don't overthink this. Do what you feel is good for you. A text or a tasteful Thank You card for the lovely evening is totally appropriate. One day at a time.

Butch 57 said...

Sounds like you two connected well. Call him or text

BosGuy said...

My dating advice is definitely dated since I've been in a relationship for more than 20 years, but this is what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

1. Text today to say thank you again and compliment the meal which he obviously put a great deal of thought into.

2. Follow up in the same text or wait for his response to suggest getting together. Perhaps even throw out a few dates at the end of the week or early next week.

3. Enjoy the memory of the moment and follow your gut. He obviously was interested enough to try and impress you with a home dinner that sounds like it was restaurant quality.

JiEL said...

I would text him a thank you message and how you enjoyed being with him and appreciated his conversation.

As he hosted you, it's maybe for you to invite him for a meal.

For the timing of the dinner, here French Québécois we use to have our meal for a party or date around 20h.(8h pm) which is similar of France people. Dinning at 5hpm or 6pm is more an American style.

No matter what, as he seems to be telling you he also enjoyed your company, I'm sure he's hoping to hear from you.

VRCooper said...

A DATE!!

I saw the three wise men coming down the driveway and wondered what is up!!

GREAT!!

Just be yourself. Always respond with a thank-you. Follow your heart and DON'T wait by the phone. You want to show interest but not stalky.

Oh boy, we have stories to read.

Best--

uvdp said...

Je suis très étonné :
- un dîner à 17h : mais c'est l'heure du café , du thé ... !
- un dîner après un rendez vous d'embauche !!
- un dîner chez lui !!!
en France , cela s'appelle du rentre dedans .
J'attends avec impatience la suite .

Anonymous said...

A good southern gurl already has the thank you note written and drops it in his mailbox on the way home. Call me old fashioned, but nothing is more impressive than a hand written note.

I understand that texting is the way of the world today, but I would follow up with a text suggesting getting together for another event.

Joe said...

I sent a text thanking him for the wonderful time Saturday and for the amazing meal. He responded that the pleasure was entirely his, and that he recounted to a friend what a pleasure it was to spend the afternoon and evening with such a true southern gentleman. I’m hoping he’ll let me take him to dinner soon, something I did suggest in another text. We’ll see where it goes from there.

Jeremy Ryan said...

Sorry for the late comment. I read your story before I started working and have meant to comment on it all day. My memory isn't exactly at full speed these days.

I am so happy that things went well for you and that you had a great time. Dating is new ground for me. I would be wondering what to do in order to get a second date and who should contact whom and by what means as well. I think that is only natural. At the end of the day your both human and if you feel things went well and want a second date then ask. Do what your heart says and I think you will be just fine. If you both wait for the other to reach out then you may never connect. I think waiting a day or possibly two is okay. I hope you get your second date and that this blossoms for you. We all deserve happiness! All my best.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. If you spent 10 hours together, something clicked. Here's hoping, Roderick

Anonymous said...

In Spain at 5 p.m. what you do is a snack, something similar to a breakfast: a coffee with pastries or a cake. It can also be a glass of wine and a tapa of tortilla de patata, but dinner at 5 p.m. is not even done in hospitals. 😮

Angel

Joe said...

Angel, when I was in Europe years ago, I always enjoyed eating later. Having wine with my dinner each night seemed to help me sleep better. Now, I eat between 5 and 6 pm just out of habit.