Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?


Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day? (Sonnet 18)

By William Shakespeare - 1564-1616

 

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?

Thou art more lovely and more temperate.

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,

And summer’s lease hath all too short a date.

Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,

And often is his gold complexion dimmed;

And every fair from fair sometime declines,

By chance, or nature’s changing course, untrimmed;

But thy eternal summer shall not fade,

Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow’st,

Nor shall death brag thou wand'rest in his shade,

When in eternal lines to Time thou grow'st.

    So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,

    So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

 

This sonnet is certainly the most famous in the sequence of Shakespeare’s sonnets; it may be the most famous lyric poem in English. It’s also one of my favorite Shakespearean sonnet. Among Shakespeare’s works, only lines such as “To be or not to be” and “Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?” are better-known. This is not to say that it is at all the best or most interesting or most beautiful of the sonnets; but the simplicity and loveliness of its praise of the beloved has guaranteed its place.

 

On the surface, the poem is simply a statement of praise about the beauty of the beloved; summer tends to unpleasant extremes of windiness and heat, but the beloved is always mild and temperate. Summer is incidentally personified as the “eye of heaven” with its “gold complexion”; the imagery throughout is simple and unaffected, with the “darling buds of May” giving way to the “eternal summer”, which the speaker promises the beloved. The beloved’s “eternal summer” shall not fade precisely because it is embodied in the sonnet: “So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,” the speaker writes in the couplet, “So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.” The language, too, is comparatively unadorned for the sonnets; it is not heavy with alliteration or assonance, and nearly every line is its own self-contained clause—almost every line ends with some punctuation, which effects a pause.

2 comments:

BosGuy said...

This post reminds me that The Tempest will be performed for free on the Boston Common starting later this month.

BTW, I love it when you breakdown certain poems and share information about the poets. In this case, I'm actually familiar with both.

Joe said...

BosGuy, when I taught English literature, this was one of my favorite poems to teach. I'd often take my students outside on a sunny day and use my surroundings to get them to understand the metaphors better. Most of my English students were football players (I did not teach the advanced English classes), so I had to break it down in the simplest way possible.

When I lived in Alabama, I often had season tickets to the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. I loved to see the Shakespeare plays, but they also did broadway shows and other plays. I usually really enjoyed the musicals, but I am a sucker for a good musical.