Friday, July 16, 2021

Deliveries!


We are blessed with two very nice and very hot UPS delivery guys in my town. At first, I thought we only had one, but I was talking to my neighbor on Wednesday, and we realized, though they look very similar, there are indeed two of them. One actually makes his route from behind the house going toward Main Street and doesn’t wear a hat, while the other one come up from Main Street and wears a baseball cap. My neighbor and I both have a thing for our sweet UPS guys. Plus, they always bring our packages directly to our door and if it’s raining, makes sure they won’t get wet. Both are also very friendly when we happen to be outside when they deliver.

I am not as enamored with our FedEx delivery guy. In fact, every time I get a notice that a package is being delivered by FedEx, I audibly groan. There are four apartments in the house that I live in, two in the north side of the house, and then mine and my downstairs neighbor on the south side of the house. The two apartments on the north side have both front doors and back doors, whereas my downstairs neighbor only has a door facing the back of the house, and my door is on the side of the house up a flight of stairs. On the path to the front doors is a cute little sign made by our landlord that says “Please make deliveries to the back.” I also set up a FedEx account so that I could put delivery instructions on every package delivered to me telling the driver where on the property to deliver the package. Each apartment is clearly numbered at our entrances on the back and side of the house. Our UPS deliveries are always left at the correct door.

When FedEx delivers, we never know where he is going to leave our packages, if he leaves them at all. I had a package that was supposed to be delivered yesterday, and the tracking said it was on the truck to be delivered. However, there was an exemption, with no explanation, saying it would be delivered today. My faith in today's delivery is not strong. I’ve had packages sit for days at the FedEx facility near Burlington. I would be more understanding if there was inclement weather, or I could understand if there was a one-time mechanical issue with the truck. But, unlike UPS, FedEx never explains why there is a delay. It has also happened numerous times. Some days, they just never deliver, and yesterday’s exception was logged at 11:30 am. If UPS logs an exception in their tracking it is never registered until after 9:30 pm.

Even once it is delivered, we never know where it will be delivered. Sometimes, the FedEx driver literally steps over the sign saying to make deliveries to the back. Other times, it has been chucked over the side fence. We actually watched the driver do this one day. I’ve also had packages left sitting out in the rain. If the package actually makes it near my apartment, the driver throws it up on the landing at the top of the steps. How do I know this? When there is snow, and I keep my landing and stairs mostly clear of snow, I have seen the skid marks the package makes when it is thrown up the stairs. Back when I was having my monthly migraine injections overnighted to me in a cooler from Dartmouth’s pharmacy, I always had to hunt down my medicine. After the second or third time, I called FedEx to complain. I was told to put the delivery instructions on my account, which I did. The driver rarely follows the delivery instructions. 

I have called several times to complain, but all I am ever told is that they will log the complaint. By the way, FedEx makes it nearly impossible to find a contact number to call them. The times that I have tried to email them, I have never received a response. If any of my readers work for FedEx, I am sorry. I am sure it is not like this everywhere, but in Vermont having FedEx deliver a package is a nightmare in customer service. Thankfully, Amazon, which I order most of what I need from, mostly uses UPS or USPS. Like with UPS, the USPS has two mail carriers, one older lady (who wears shorts even in the coldest of our Vermont winters) and a younger guy who started doing deliveries occasionally a few months ago. The young guy is also a cutie and can be relied on to leave packages at our doors and to make sure they do not get rained or snowed on. The female mail carrier all too often takes my packages back to the post office to be delivered through my post office box, especially if it is a larger or heavy package. She just won’t deliver it to my regular mailbox.

UPS is really our only reliable delivery service. The post office is reliable a little over half the time. FedEx is never reliable. We never know what to expect from FedEx except that our packages will most likely be delivered to the wrong apartment.

Speaking of FedEx, I just saw this tweet:

You should read the responses. I responded by saying:

5 comments:

BosGuy said...

Neither our FedEx or UPS delivery men are particularly easy on the eyes, but our UPS guy who has worked this route for as long as I can recall is exceptional at his job. He remembers everyone's name and delivers the packages to our individual apartments, which is impressive considering our complex has 200 units.

We have similar issues with FedEx, which in the past has thought nothing of leaving packages on the sidewalk. These deliveries inevitably end up being snagged by unscrupulous pedestrians walking by our building.

Joe said...

BosGuy, I have a coworker who paid her way through college and grad school by working with FedEx at their headquarters in Memphis, she cannot believe our FedEx drivers are so bad. She had always though highly of FedEx. I do not.

Anonymous said...

Social media sometimes gets a better response than email or phone.

Joe said...

Anon, my coworker who used to work for FedEx told me the same thing about social media. However, she also suggested I write directly to Fred Smith, the founder of FedEx with my issues. Who knows if a letter would even reach him?

JiEL said...

Here in Montreal we have many delivery companies and as we are a over 4 million population I rarely saw the same delivery guy from UPS or FedEx or any other delivery companies.
Our Canadian Post Services are quite efficient too and my mail «woman» (a cute small young woman that at first I thought she was a boy with her tatoos on her calves) is very on time and his nice too. She knows me and will salute me when we get to cross each other in front of my place.

For UPS, there was once that so cute delivery young man, the kind with nice glasses and had this well educated library guy. The stairs leading to my appartement are inside ones and I have many of my artworks there. He did noticed on one of his delivery and began to chat nicely with me.

He was so cute but didn't see him again.