Monday, July 16, 2018

Another Monday


Yes, it’s another Monday, and time marches on. I had stuff to do over the weekend, but very little of it got done. I have a busy day today catching up. I hope I don’t get drawn into things at work and can get caught up. This online class that I am teaching is murder. What they expect of me is insane. Online teaching is not supposed to be this hard. Thankfully, I’ve looked ahead, and it does seem to get easier than the first two weeks. It’s maddening though. It will all get done though. I have my online class that I’m taking to deal with too. This week’s assignment is fairly easy, so I can get it done quickly.

5 comments:

Trevon said...

Have you begun instructing the online class yet or are you still satisfying the institution's requirements? I'm an online adjunct instructor at a community college, hoping for a full time faculty position in the future. I appreciate the freedom I have in the "classroom." But, I am also exploring other opportunities and wondering what other institutions are like.

Doréus said...

Typically, online teaching requires oodles of preparation and the actual teaching is easier when that is done. I wish you the best of success!

Joe said...

Trevon and Doréus, I teach for a large online university. They have the class set up, we just basically monitor it and provide feedback to the students and grading. They expect us to respond to every single student. It’s a bit overwhelming, bu Tim getting used to it. The training I had to go through for this was really rough and tedious. I’d prefer it if I were the one doing the preparation, but that’s not how this university works. They want everything as standardized as posss.

Doréus said...

Ah! The Lumprofessoriate approach! But you gotta do what you gotta do, sometimes! I hope the experience is worthwhile for you and that you can eventually transfer that learning to other, more rewarding, teaching contexts.

Doréus said...

I mistyped. I meant Lumpenprofessoriate of course... the disposable, eminently replaceable kind of teaching staff that does massive amounts of work for minimal retribution.