Sunday, April 10, 2022

Fresh Starts

Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead.

—Philippians 3:13

 

Spring is a season of new beginnings. The trees are budding, the snow is melting, and the birds are returning from their winter migration. It’s a beautiful time of year. It’s a fresh start for the world around us, and it can be a fresh start for us as well.

 

My recent move to a new apartment feels like a fresh start. I am in a new town and a bit further from work. There are new opportunities and new people to meet. I think anyone who has moved has purged their belongings of things they no longer need or want. I am getting rid of many old clothes that I can no longer wear after my weight loss. You may also get a few new things you need for your new place. I got a new mattress and a few new pieces of furniture. This move feels like a fresh start, a new beginning. I still have my same job, that's not changing, but there is a fresh start in my new place.

 

New beginnings can be from a range of contexts; entering a new year, starting a new job, moving to a new city, or beginning a new relationship. A new beginning could also be entering a new phase of life with an updated outlook or belief, like moving to a new place. The Bible offers advice and encouragement for beginning a new chapter by providing the strength and support of God. Embrace a fresh start. Second Corinthians 5:17 says, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

 

Every moment is an opportunity for a fresh start. You can argue that everything that preceded this moment has created who you are and how you think. To quote Avery Brooks' Star Trek: Deep Space Nine character Commander Benjamin Sisko, "We use past experience to help guide us….all the experiences in our lives prepared us for [this moment]." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine "Emissary") We still have the capacity to notice the momentum of our lives pushing us in a certain direction, be still, and choose a new response. We don't need a life-changing event for a fresh start. As you wind down the day, see if you can view tomorrow as the beginning of the rest of your life. Embrace what is to come.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The best of luck in your new home, hope you and Isabella are very happy.

uvdp said...

Isabella, is she happy with her new home?

Joe said...

Isabella seems to be happy. She’s getting used to new sounds around her, but mostly she seems to be enjoying exploring and checking everything out, along with cat naps of course.

Anonymous said...

Your move coinciding with spring is a very good sign. Also, your current home is in a wonderful location. I am very envious of your new place of residence!
I hope and wish that this new life adventure will be a success for you and Isabel, the queen of the house. Cats love to explore. I'm sure you will have an exciting game of exploration in your head! I would like to be a pet cat because besides living very well, they have a lot of fun.
Joe don't forget to put plants in the house, besides giving joy and being a nice decorative complement, their vision is very positive for the mood. Be careful, make sure that they are not harmful to cats!
Best wishes to you and Isabel (I call her in the Spanish way) in this new house and this new neighborhood to know.

Angel