Friday, April 29, 2022

The Day Has Come

The day has finally come; I have my laryngoscopy today. I’ve been waiting since January 10 for them to schedule this procedure, and it will determine if I can get the Inspire implant as a replacement for my CPAP to treat my sleep apnea. I have to be at Dartmouth by 7 am, so we need to leave my apartment no later than 5:45 am. My friend driving me will have to leave her place around 5:10 am. I feel bad about the imposition I am putting her in, but I don't have a lot of options. My boss was supposed to take me, and I would not feel bad about him having to leave so early, but his daughters came down with COVID, so he's quarantined with them and can't take me.

On a different note: While Isabella seems to enjoy my new apartment (as do I), she has been doing this odd thing lately. She will sit in front of the glass of my entertainment center and stare at her reflection. I had this entertainment center at my old place, but she never took note of it. She will sit there for the longest time just staring at her reflection, though I don’t think she realizes that it is her. Occasionally, she walks around the entertainment center to see if she can find that other cat. Of course, she never does, but it’s always back right where it was when she looks again. She doesn’t do anything but stare into the glass. She has done this with the front windows a few times, but never in a mirror and never for as long as she sits looking at the glass in the entertainment center. She doesn't seem upset but seems more curious than anything else. So, I have a question for those with cats: have any of your cats ever exhibited this type of behavior? 

 

She’s usually pretty smart, and things like this don’t fool her. Although she still occasionally chases her tail, she will get tired of it after a little while. Also, she sometimes accidentally sits on one of her mice when playing with them and gets very perplexed about where it has gone. Eventually, she moves and reveals the mouse and seems surprised when the mouse suddenly reappears. Occasionally, she gets lost under the quilt on my bed but usually finds her way out unaided. Sometimes, I have to assist her. Cats are infinitely entertaining, especially Isabella. With all of these strange behaviors, she eventually gets tired and curls up on a nice comfy blanket and goes to sleep, which she seems to do, like most cats, for about 18 hours a day.


PROCEDURE UPDATE: The laryngoscopy went fine, but I am not an good candidate for the Inspire therapy, so I’m not sure what the next step is.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope it all works well for you, it will take a while for Isabella to settle in.

naturgesetz said...

Very sorry that you're not a candidate for Inspire. That sounded so good.

Could you get down with Isabella and move your hand around to show her how mirrors work?

Several of my cats enjoyed getting under the bedspread, but I don't think they had trouble finding their way out when they were ready to emerge. OTOH, if one wanted to stay when I was ready to go to bed, I'd just go to bed, and it'd have to move.

Anonymous said...

If you are not a candidate, what happens now, Joe?
I think Isabel should continue exploring this new world little by little and I think it is better to let her discover who is that cat that sometimes appears? Besides, maybe she has a story in her head about that cat and that's why she spends a lot of time looking at the mirror. I think it is better that she continues in this new adventure full of mysteries, everything around her is good, there is no danger and it is possible that this new adventure is full of magic for Isabel.

Ángel

Joe said...

Ángel, I don’t know. I was told I’d have an appointment next week to discuss other options. At some point, the office is supposed to call and set up that appointment. Until then, I just don’t know. There aren’t many options left.

Anonymous said...

Joe I am sorry to hear your news and I understand that you may be disappointed, but please try to deal with this setback as just a delay in your improvement. Think that within those few possibilities there is surely one that will at least make your life a little better than it is now.
Look at what happens: until you talked about this intervention I was unaware of it and I felt grateful for the possibility of having in my bedroom that machine that makes me sleep better and wake up really rested, not like before that I had the same feeling of having been unloading trucks all night long. Do you remember how you were before you had your apnea machine? Think about it.
We are dealing with each other for a very short time and on top of that we are separated by a huge ocean, language and who knows what else, but I feel you as a real friend, one of those who have known each other for years.
You know that in Asturias there is a rational animal (I think it's me) and two wonderful souls (my two "girls") who have you very present and who only want the best for you.
A big hug.

Ángel, María and Ana

Anonymous said...

Did they at least tell you why you were not a good candidate for this new system. It seems off that you are not good for this and yet they didn't tell you why.

Jon from UGA

Joe said...

Jon, they didn’t spell out why after the procedure but I know from going in that they were looking to see how my throat closes when I’m asleep: front to back (80% of people) or side to side (the other 20%). One of those makes a person an ideal candidate, the other means you are less than ideal. The doctor told me before the procedure that if I fell in the 20%, then she would discuss it with the rep for the device and see if it was still possible. She also told me before the laryngoscopy that because I’d be under anesthesia, that I would probably be too groggy to have a full discussion after and that she’d set up an appointment for this week to talk more about the results and options that are still available.