Thursday, June 12, 2014

Summer Reading


Even with my busy schedule so far this summer, as a teacher, summer brings one of my greatest joys: reading.  Even as a student and now as a teacher, I have gotten the summers off, which means for the other nine months out of the year, I collect books that I want to read when I have the time, which is usually during the summer.  There is so much to do and so many other thigs to read during the school year, that if don't get to read much for pleasure.  The other day, I was talking to a woman who was studying for the bar exam.  She said the same thing.  For three years, she has read what she was told to read and what she had to read, now she just wanted to read for enjoyment.


I do get some pleasure reading done during the school year now that I'm a teacher, but not as much as I'd like.  As a grad student, it was worse.  By the end of the academic year, I'd have a stack of books three or four feet tall waiting for me to read when summer arrived.  Summers tend or be lean times, especially as a grad student, so I really didn't have much money to go an do, so I stayed home and read.  And what better light for reading is available than the summer sun.  Whether your sitting on your porch or patio, in a window, laying on the beach, or lounging in the park, a book is the perfect accompaniment.


So even with the business of my summer, I have read a few books.  Amy Lane has written two wonderful books called Country Mouse and it's continuation City Mouse.  If you want an easy fun read for summer with a bit of naughty sex thrown in, then these are the books for you.  Then there are The Men of Smithfield series by L.B. Gregg:  Mark and Tony (Book 1), Max and Finn (Book 2), Seth and David (Book 3), and Adam and Holden (Book 4).  Gregg also has the much anticipated and soon to be released on Sam and Aaron (Book 5) which will be available as an e-book on June 16.  Each book is about a different budding relationship in the town of Smithfield, where everyone knows each other.  The great thing about The Men of Smithfield is that each story contains a mystery within that goes along with the love affair.  The sex scenes are well written, and some are rough and some are gentle.  No matter which you read, you'll find characters that you fall in love with.  


Currently, I'm reading the third in the "Glen and Tyler" series by J.B. Sanders, Glen and Tyler's Paris Double-Cross. If I've never mentioned the Glen and Tyler Adventures, then I have done all of my readers a disservice.  The Glen & Tyler series of adventure books are about a happy married couple getting out there and solving crimes. Or playing hockey. It depends on the day.  Glen and Tyler's Honeymoon Adventure is the first book and details how Glen and Tyler got married and what it means for their future, especially the honeymoon.  The second in the series was Glen and Tyler's Scottish Troubles which continues their adventures in their newly inherited Scottish manor.  There is a fourth book in the works called Glen and Tyler's High Seas Hijinks which sounds very fun and I can't wait for it to be released.  In addition, to the three books already released there are also two erotic novellas dealing with Glen and Tyler:  Glen and Tyler Just Married and Glen and Tyler vs. The Gay Kama Sutra.  The three major books have implied sex, but nothing explicit. They are just really fun to read, especially if you want to imagine what it's like to have more money than you know what to do with;  it makes a nice fantasy and is just plain fun.


So now that I've told about my summer reading list so far, do you have any suggestions?  Are there any books that you are dying to read or are there any that you have read that you'd like to recommend?  If so, put them in the comment section.  Happy reading!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe
Hope you continue to enjoy the summer. Where are you at with your PHD? You haven't mentioned it in a while and wonder if you finished. I hope so.
Steve

Anonymous said...

Great minds think alike! My next post will be about my recent and soon to come reading! And of course, the usual ARGH because you've shown me some more books to add to the Kindle!!!

Check your email, I sent you one.

Peace <3
Jay

Anonymous said...

Joe -
I also recently finished Country Mouse and City Mouse by Amy Lane. I love many of her books including The Talker Series - Tate (Talker) Walker is struggling with his past and learning to cope with the scars. His boyfriend Brian Cooper only sees Talker's true self and potential. It's a great 3 book series. But my most recent read of Amy Lane's is Clear Water. This book struck a certain chord with me as I could relate to the main character Patrick Cleary in so many ways. Patrick is the young ADD boy(age 23) whose life is pretty fucked up and has pretty low self esteem because of his family and the jerks he has dated. Wesley Keenan is a field biologist (age 36) who's a little nerdy but super cool and sexy. He's kinda gruff but has this sweet kind heart that Patrick brings out in him. Great read that shows true love can change everything.

Two other 3 book series I've read recently I highly recommend. First is by K.C Burn. Cop Out, Cover Up and Cast Off. I really enjoyed all of these and love when the author uses characters from one book and includes them in another book - everything is connected in one way or another - these were interesting and focuses on building new relationships with all the doubt, worry, second guessing and thrill of starting a new romance.

The other is the Learning To Love series is by K.C Wells. These books are unique in that they focus on 3 different gay relationships all living in one off college campus house. It is set in the UK, which makes it fun and their connections with each other is so unique and more affectionate. I'm just about ready to start book 3, and I'm excited to find out what happens to the next couple.

One final thought regarding some books by Xavier Mayne that you blogged about several weeks ago. I took your recommendation and read both of them. They were such fun and great characters. First was Frat House Troopers and the other was Demon Wrestlers. Can't wait to read more of Xavier Mayne's books.

Happy Summer reading everyone.
Ethan