Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Fascinating Picture



While I know nothing about this picture for sure, I am pretty sure of a few things.  First, these men are from the early 20th century, most likely close to the time of the First World War. There uniforms are the uniforms that the US Army used between 1902-1926 as their winter service uniforms, at least the darker color of the shirts suggest that it is winter uniform as opposed to the lighter colored summer uniform. By the looks of the pins on their collars, I would say that they are part of a New York National Guard unit, but the picture isn't clear enough to tell me what units. Furthermore, they seem to be very close to one another, good friends or possibly more, though they could just be brothers. One thing for certain, they were very handsome men, especially the first one on the left.

I do wish I knew the story behind this photograph. What do you think the story is?

7 comments:

Susan said...

When you say brothers, I think: brothers-in-arms. An intriguing posing for when it was made regardless of their relationship. Thanks for sharing with us, Joe.

Joe said...

If I could get my hands on the actual picture, I might be able to tell more about it. I just happened across this one online with no further explanation. I really love the intimacy of the pose.

JiEL said...

Never know how intimate were those young men.

This trio is surely very close friends but being more than that can be a point of questioning. Must admit that on those times, religion and education may have put some limits to their «love».

In those times, must admit that men were more living together as in military groups.
Being intimates could be possible as we see in sports and other men groups..
A kind of «bros» relationships...

But our imagination can drive us to fantasize on that trio being in «Love»...

So cute ones too that it could lead to it.

Anonymous said...

I would suggest that, given that they are in uniform, the date of the uniform, and the intimacy, the photograph was taken when they were about to ship out with the AEF in the fall or winter of 1917. Their faces show no sign of strain - so they are not veterans of France. But one guy is identified with his name and his age. Would Ancestry.com help you? And no, just male bonding. "The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there." The Academic

Joe said...

Actually the name probably will help. I'll see what I can find. I agree, it probably is before shipment overseas or possibly from the Mexican Punative Expedition the year before. More likely WWI though. I also agree that it's most likely just male bonding and friendship.

Richard said...

Joe,

See this page:

http://callumjames.blogspot.com/2014/07/ww1-soldiers-tender-embrace.html

Richard

Lenny Ricci said...

I'm thinking that they all went to High School together and after graduation, they decided to join the armed forces. They are very good friends and this might be their farewell photo for families to share. I don't think they are related because of the curly hair on the one guy and the straight hair on the other two.
Sad to think they could be parting ways and never will see each other ever again..

Lenny from Denver