Thursday, August 11, 2016

Swoon



You may already know that Colton Haynes is on the cover of Out Magazine this month. You know I can't let that go by without commenting about the article. There are three things about the article that I want to comment on. 

First, Colton says that he discovered that his ex-boyfriend was a serial cheater. Let me just say, Colten's ex must be a true dumbass. If Colton was my boyfriend, I'd do anything and everything possible to keep him. Colton is sweet and delectable, who wouldn't want him? 

Second, Colton says that he was told that his father committed suicide after finding out that Colton had come out at age 14. That is a lot for a 14 year old to deal with, whether it was true or not. When my own mother found out I was gay, she basically lost her will to live and has suffered from depression since then. Now she just lives in denial. I don't know what I would have done if my mother had committed suicide, which she has often contemplated. 

Finally, Colton talks more about his depression and anxiety, as well as his therapist. My new doctor has convinced me to see another therapist, since my depression has not gotten much better and my anxiety level has gotten worse.

I may be overweight, ten years older, and not a celebrity, but in many ways I can identify with Colton's struggles. As a teacher at a private academy in the south, I too had to go back in the closet after being out for a number of years. While I had to switch professions and move to come out again, I'm glad Colton was able to come out and be such an inspiration. He shows that depression and anxiety are real issues for real people, and I admire him for discussing it publicly. I can't help it, I just love and admire Colton Haynes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It breaks my heart to learn that Haynes thinks that his father may have committed suicide as a result of his coming out. I remain closeted for a number of reasons, mostly professional. But, I do worry about how my parents will react, because they love me very much and have high hopes for me and my future, and we come from a southern culture where the type of success they wish for me can only be achieved if you are a straight, white family man. Thanks for sharing this, and a glimpse into your own life, Joe!