Thursday, May 28, 2020

Recreation



I think we’ve all seen pictures and videos in the news of events over the past weekend like the beginning of  the summer party at Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri, dubbed the"Zero Ducks Given Pool Party” or crowds at beaches all over the South showing willful disregard for social distancing. Here in Vermont people are mostly following guidelines for social distancing and wearing masks when they can’t social distance. 

In Vermont, we’ve had some hot weather the past few days with high temperatures in the 90s, so naturally people want to get out and about. We’ve been warned though not to get into the waters of Lake Champlain or the many quarries, lakes, and rivers around Vermont, not just to continue our social distancing, but because the water temperature has not risen above 50 degrees. The National Weather Service issued a special weather statement reminding everyone that the waters were still too cold to enjoy, and that with temperatures below 50 degrees, hyperthermia sets in within a few minutes. 

So as much as I too would like to visit one of the gay beaches in Vermont or go canoeing or better yet tubing down one of Vermont’s lazy rivers, I will stay at home. Truthfully, when the weather warms up, I prefer to take a few days and head up to the Gay Village in Montreal, but that too is out of the question because the border remains closed.

I doubt I will ever understand the people who refuse to wear masks and say stupid things like: “If I get sick, I get sick,” “If it’s my time to die, it’s my time to die,” or “God will protect me.” How does the Ancient Greek proverb go? “God helps those who helps themselves.” There’s a fine line between trust and irresponsibility that I admit is sometimes hard to see, but the truth is these people are being selfish. Wearing masks is more about protecting others than it is about protecting yourself. Remember to always follow the Golden Rule: Do to others what you want them to do to you. This is the meaning of the law of Moses and the teaching of the prophet. — Matthew 7:12

3 comments:

Hot guys said...

Gotta just relax sometimes, yup! 🤍🖤🤍🖤🤍🖤

Anonymous said...

I was waiting for the windup...But yes...We have to hold the course for now...Remember I wear my mask to PROTECT YOU and you wear your mask to PROTECT ME...As they say, "Love thy neighbor as thyself."

JiEL said...

Yes Joe, stay safe and far from others too..
I saw all of those «careless» people in USA going out not social distancing and I find it digusting how selfish and careless were all of those idiots..

And what is to say about these two black men killed by idiots white men. Americans aren't out of racism yet and hate seems to win again.
With all this and the border shut down, I'm not very attracted to go and visit my friends in Delaware..

For coming here in Montreal, the bars, restaurants etc in the gay village are all closed.

I don't want to be rude, but please, dear Americans, stay in USA and don't come here to infect us.....
I'm not very optimistic but I'm sure that in two weeks you see a surge in death toll in USA following this desastrous Memorial weekend..

Sorry to say this..