Monday, July 22, 2024

Monday Thoughts

I’m not looking forward to this week. Work has been emailing me all weekend, and I have largely ignored it. This morning, I have to deal with it. The emails have been about something that I do not find to have so high of a priority that any of this couldn’t wait until today. It’s all for a committee I’m on, and some of the recent decisions made and how the committee chair has acted recently has me angry and apathetic.

Furthermore, on a grander scale, I’m sure you all know that Joe Biden dropped his reelection bid. I find this sad and worrisome news. Yes, Biden had a bad debate night, but I don't agree with so many Democrats pulling their support from him and calling for him to drop out of the race just months away from the election. They should have either thrown their tantrums before we went through the primary season and allow people to actually choose a candidate, or they should have rallied behind him after the debate. I’m afraid it’s too late. 

Biden has endorsed Harris who has shown a very different personality since she started her presidential election campaign in 2019. She did not and has not since then projected a likable personality. I hope she shows the warm personality that has occasionally come out and also the fight and fervor she showed as a Senator. She can certainly run rings around Trump not only in debates but also in the campaign process. I just hope she chooses a great vice presidential running mate.

The fact is, I’m feeling kind of hopeless at the moment. I’m aggravated at work, and I’m scared for my country’s future. The problem at work will soon be out of my hands, and while I’m sure I’ll still be angry, I can at least move on. As for the United States, I can only pray that we can preserve democracy. Whoever the Democratic nominee is, I will vote for them. At this point it’s all we can do. 

I just hope the Democrats can put aside internal dispute and rally as one united front against whoever is Trump’s opponent. If Democrats get out and vote for the nominee, whoever it is, Trump does not stand a chance of winning. Trump is a candidate for a party that has become an increasingly desperate party hoping to hold onto power through unfair, undemocratic, and often illegal means. They are a minority party, but that’s true only if the Democrats unite and get out and vote!

Time will tell with all of this. I hope everyone has a great week!

6 comments:

uvdp said...

Baden did well to withdraw. 4 years ago didn't he promise not to run again?
Whatever happens, even if the situation is serious, things may get better or they may get worse. On the contrary, the worst is never certain, and that is why we must make things happen, adapt, and not give in. — (Harold Bernat, Vieux Réac! - Must we adapt to everything?, 2012)

Anonymous said...

Hopelessness & Despair

I am now at an age in my life that can recall Johnson’s decision to not run. Nixon went on to win 1968 presidential election. In the face of all types of civil discord, an unpopular war, the fabric of America held. Nixon’s own hubris ultimately became his undoing; seems oddly poignant considering Donald Trump.

Regardless of which party takes the White House this November, or gains controls the other branches of government, the American experiment with democracy will prevail. Changes and growing pains are a part of institutional maturity.

We should all reflect on the words of Vernon Jordan; “We have been here before” (PBS).

naturgesetz said...

My reaction was very different from yours. I've never had a favorable impression of Kamala Harris, but I think she'll be a stronger candidate then Joe Biden would have been. The worst mistake the Democrats could make now is to have significant opposition to her nomination. And I don't think a real contest during the primaries would have been useful. I can't think of anybody who'd have been a better nominee, and the optics of bypassing the "heir apparent" who is a woman of color would have been and now would be terrible and would probably cost the party lots of votes (peoplle who would stay at home rather than vote for the non-Harris. The Democrats should unite quickly behind Harris.
I agree with you and 40 of Trump's 44 cabinet members from his first term: he must never return to the Oval Office. He represents a real danger to our constitutional traditions and form of government.

Anonymous said...

Much strength to Harris!!!!!

Ángel

David said...

I speak as a foreigner (Australia) who is also an observer of US politics. We can't avoid it here - "he who must not be named" is all over our TV screens every night, and our social media the rest of the day. All I can say is that if America can't keep a democracy, what hope is there for the rest of the world - the countries (like Australia) that owe much of our democracy to the US. My only piece of advice to the USA is this: you should have compulsory (and therefore universal) voting. Everyone over 18 should be required to vote, as is the case in Australia and 21 other countries. That way you really get a democracy and a government that truly does reflect the people. The advantage is that you don't have to "get out the vote" as in the USA - the election can then focus on the issues.

Joe said...

David, I agree that the US needs compulsory voting. We have one of the lowest rates of people who vote in elections. I think one of the problems with getting out the vote, especially for presidential elections, is the Electoral College. It would be exceedingly difficult to change the presidency to direct election, but I do believe it’s a deterrent for people feeling their vote counts.