Monday, March 18, 2013

A Dad's Note To His Gay Son


Coming out may not always be easy. One father, who overheard his son on the phone discussing his intentions to reveal his sexuality, eased his child's worries by writing him the best note ever.
FCKH8.com, an equal rights organization, first posted the touching letter to Facebook on Friday morning. In the note, the father explains he overheard his son, Nate, talking on the phone about coming out. But the father tells him there is no need -- he already knew, and he never cared.
"I've known you were gay since you were six," the father writes. "I've loved you since you were born."
He also added a sweet postscript, "Your mom and I think you and Mike make a cute couple."
Also in the news Friday was an announcement from Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) about his gay son's coming out and how it changed his opinion on marriage equality.
The conservative Portman revealed he changed his opinion of same-sex marriage two years ago when his son, Will, came out to him and his wife. "It allowed me to think of this issue from a new perspective, and that's of a Dad who loves his son a lot and wants him to have the same opportunities that his brother and sister would have -- to have a relationship like Jane and I have had for over 26 years," Portman said during an interview with Ohio reporters.
These aren't the only moving coming out stories to make headlines recently.
In January, a 15-year-old girl named Laurel used a cake to come out to her parents. Along with a message in icing that read "I'm gay," the girl left a note asking for her parents' acceptance. Not only did she get it, but they all got to enjoy her baked dish.
That same month, Jacob Rudolph, a New Jersey teen, came out to his parents, along with his entire class, as LGBT at his high school graduation. After being named "Class Actor," Rudolph delivered a speech to his family and peers, saying, "So take me, leave me or move me out of the way, because I am what I am, and that's how I'm going to act from now on."

2 comments:

silvereagle said...

Nate is a fortunate young man and Mike is equally fortunate. A good story....but not the case in all situations I am sure. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

I do wish there was some provenance to go with that letter! It's been all over the Internet (viral, I guess, is the word), but not one peep from whomever it was written by or to. That being said, it's a great sentiment, though I'll bet ol' Nate about sh!t himself when he first saw it!

As to Portman - it's great that he's changed his views, and we've all seen the utter contempt heaped upon him by the "real Republicans". But my only question is this: WHY IN THE BLOODY HECK COULDN'T HE CHANGE HIS MIND BECAUSE IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO??? Why did it have to hit home first? Are there any "conservatives" out there who can think for themselves, who do not have to be hit over the head with a bat before they come around to thinking about the harm they are doing by continually espousing hate and bigotry?

I read two articles today: One says the federal government has lost about $6 billion between the signing of DOMA and something like 2009. It was backed up by verifiable numbers. The other was a treatise on what the Bible says about homosexuality, and basically, it says little or nothing, and most of what is said is in reference to prostitution, perhaps child abuse, etc. Why in the heck can't these people get their heads wrapped around THAT?!

Boy, this got off track! Sorry! I am thrilled that coming out is getting easier and easier for young people, older people, everyone. Thanks for reminding us of that!

Peace <3
Jay