Monday, April 6, 2020

World on Fire



Last night, I watched the beginning of a new series on PBS's Masterpiece called World on Fire. The series follows the hidden lives of ordinary people from Britain, Poland, France, Germany and the USA during World War II. The drama switches its scenes between various locations in France, Britain, Germany and Poland. It features repeated visits to Paris, Warsaw, Manchester, Berlin and Dunkirk.

I really enjoyed the first episode and can't wait to see more. One of the stars is a favorite actor of mine, the out gay actor Brian J. Smith who plays Dr. Webster O'Connor, a gay American doctor living in Paris.

Did any of you watch it last night? If you did not, I highly recommend you do.

5 comments:

Rudibear said...

I enjoyed it also awesome acting
Tony

Anonymous said...

Interesting. You and i both suffer from stress. Stress makes it impossible for me to watch any program such as World on Fire because I can't distance myself from the drama and I can't take the stress involved. But clearly you are not affected in this way. Roderick

Joe said...

Roderick, I guess my training in military history allows me to not be affected in the same way. While I have great compassion for people in history and my study of military history has made me a staunch pacifist, I can distance myself from the drama.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I did watch it and loved it! Gonna stick with this series.

Adam said...

Joe, I also watched and was impressed with the first episode. I'm also a big fan of Brian J. Smith since his sexy role in Sense8. I was swooning over him there, and after that series he came out as gay, which added to my delight.

This new series around World War 2 looks promising too. Perhaps it will give us new perspective on overcoming crisis. I suppose that's what your daily work does as well. Stay well, online friend.