Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Sleepless Nights



First of all, I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful comments on Monday’s post. Y’all have some amazing stories.

For the past several nights, I’ve almost dreaded going to bed. Even with my CPAP, which helps so much in getting a restful night’s sleep, I’ve been waking up all through the night. I just haven’t been sleeping well. I’m not sure what’s up. I’ve been having some anxiety issues, which could be a contributing factor. Several times a day, I feel a sinking feeling in my chest like I am on the verge of a full on panic attack. I’ve experienced this before, but it’s been quite a while. All of this is also causing my headaches to increase again. 

I know I’m not the only one, but I’m ready to return to normal. However, unlike those jackass “protestors,” what George Takei called the “Flu Klux Klan,” I don’t want to try to return to normal until it’s safe. And that’s not going to happen until we have enough testing. When we can better track this virus COVID-19, we cannot return to the old status quo. We have to be diligent and patient, and above all, vote that asshole president  out of office in November. The United States has needed leadership, and we aren’t getting that from the top.

Even when this quarantine is lifted, we will not return to normal until there is a vaccine. However, with enough testing, in addition to social distance and personal safety, we can at least begin to return to normal. Things will be different for a while, but if we return to the old status quo too soon, we will have the same issues that the post-WWI world had with the Spanish Flu. 

If we lift the restrictions too soon, the spread of COVID-19 will spread again and again and will possibly be worse until there is a vaccine. Even then, we will have to battle the anti-vaxxers who will resist a vaccine and continue to spread the virus. As I said in Monday’s post, my mother was a public health nurse and was a firm believer in vaccines. Because of this, I only see pure stupidity and danger in anti-vaxxers. As a teacher, I caught whooping cough because some idiot didn’t vaccinate their child. My vaccine as a child had worn off but that shouldn’t have been a problem if people had vaccinated their children.

As you might be able to tell, I’m in quite a mood.

3 comments:

Hot guys said...

Oh, I have some trouble sleeping as well.

Gotta relax and work somehow on that, I guess.

Nice twink's behind, btw!

Anonymous said...

Joe, I am so sorry about this news from you. The stress is bad enough even in company with my wife but to be alone (because Isabella is not sufficient) is just terrible. Do the local regulations allow you to go out for walks? - which we have found being outside does lessen the stress. But do vent your feelings with posts here. We can all offer sympathy. Roderick

Anonymous said...

We love it when you're in a mood-sexy... :)

Yes, I too have been listening to the "Flu Klux Klan (ers.)" I at times want to throw my hands up, hide in a cave-of course with WiFi-and someone to come and get me when November is past and it is safe to emerge. It's just too much. I have MPH-Health Education/Promotion. My view aligns with yours and Mom. I have been listening intently of what are the next steps. Yes, I want to go back to the gym and my favorite coffee houses. Yes, I want our economic engine to start up again. But, But, we have to set the groundwork in place to do so. We ARE NOT THERE yet. Yes, the next phase (s) are not certain but we have to take a step forward and calm the fuck down. The testing, contact tracing, staffing up our public health systems, PPE, the ambiguity of COVID-19 are just a few slices of the orange we have to peel. To me, if we had invested our full-throated efforts to the public health side in the beginning, the economic part will have taken care of its self-of course with some intervention as needed. Once again we have brought political issues into a public health crisis. Don't get me started down the path of this grifting administration. It's just appalling what has been espoused by those who have alternative motives-i.e. making money.

Here is an article from the Huffington Post on tips for self-care:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/cheap-self-care-practices-low-cost-budget_l_5e3b4ae0c5b6f1f57f0ababe