Friday, February 11, 2022

Beaches

Sometimes, especially during the coldest days of winter, I miss the sugary white sands and emerald waters of the beaches on Florida’s Gulf Coast. I especially miss going into a store to pick up a few things and see similar sights to the one above: a hot guy in swim trunks and barefoot doing a little shopping before heading back to the beach. I also used to love sitting on a blanket at the beach and reading a good book. Beach reads were always the best. The only problem with the beach is that you can easily get sunburned if you’re not paying close attention, and there is no way to leave the beach without having sand in uncomfortable places. Not to mention, on a hot summer day, the sand could literally burn your bare feet. Also, I never much cared for swimming in the ocean. It was okay once yo got past the waves, but for the most part, I just loved the scenery. More so than sitting on a blanket on the beach, I preferred sitting on the balcony of a hotel room looking out over the beach and watching all the hot guys. There was always a cute lifeguard or cabana boy to look at.

I remember one winter, my parents and I went down to Navarre Beach, which is about halfway between Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach. (All of these places are in Florida, of course.) I don’t remember where my sister was, but she was not with us. We stayed at a nice hotel on the beach, and I think it’s one of the only times we went the whole trip without arguing about something. I think this was just before Christmas and we did some Christmas shopping at the outlet stores in Sandestin. My fondest memory though was going to this little restaurant near our hotel. It was winter, and we mostly had the restaurant to ourselves. The food was good, but what made it so wonderful is that we laughed, talked, and had a great time having dinner that night. There weren’t many times like that. My father could be mean to my mother, and he and I often argued. My mother and I always got along much better than my father and I. However, this night, there was no fussing or fighting. I don’t remember what we were laughing so much about, but it was a very happy memory.



2 comments:

BosGuy said...

I too miss the summer weather and time on the beach. The beaches along the Gulf are beautiful. When I lived in Atlanta, I'd go down to the beaches of Destin, FL which I liked to refer to as the Redneck Riviera.

Joe said...

BosGuy, when my family would go to the beach when I was growing up, it was usually either to Pensacola or Destin. The beaches in Destin are so beautiful. We refer to all of the panhandle as the Redneck Riviera, but the capital of the Redneck Riviera will probably always be Panama City Beach. Pensacola was usually filled with northerners (probably because of the Pensacola NAS), Destin with the more "upper class" South (doctors always seemed to be having conferences there), and PCB was all drunk redenecks all the time.