Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

By Robert Frost - 1874-1963

 

Whose woods these are I think I know.

His house is in the village though;

He will not see me stopping here

To watch his woods fill up with snow.

 

My little horse must think it queer

To stop without a farmhouse near

Between the woods and frozen lake

The darkest evening of the year.

 

He gives his harness bells a shake

To ask if there is some mistake.

The only other sound's the sweep

Of easy wind and downy flake.

 

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

 

 

“Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” s one of Robert Frost’s most known poems. It was written in 1922, and published in 1923 in his New Hampshire volume. In a letter to the poet Louis Untermeyer, Frost called it "my best bid for remembrance."

 

The poem is simple and straightforward and reflects the thoughts of a lone wagon driver (the narrator), pausing at night in his travel to watch snow falling in the woods. It ends with some of the most memorable lines of any Frost poem, that of the narrator reminding himself that, despite the loveliness of the view, "I have promises to keep, / And miles to go before I sleep."

 

Frost wrote the poem in June 1922 at his house in Shaftsbury, Vermont. He had been up the entire night writing the long poem "New Hampshire" and had finally finished when he realized morning had come. He went out to view the sunrise and suddenly got the idea for "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.” He wrote the new poem "about the snowy evening and the little horse as if I'd had a hallucination" in just "a few minutes without strain."

 

In the early morning of November 23, 1963, Sid Davis of Westinghouse Broadcasting reported the arrival of President John F. Kennedy's casket at the White House. Since Frost was one of the President's favorite poets, Davis concluded his report with a passage from this poem but was overcome with emotion as he signed off.

 

At the funeral of former Canadian prime minister Pierre Trudeau, on October 3, 2000, his eldest son Justin, who is the current Prime Minister of Canada, rephrased the last stanza of this poem in his eulogy: "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. He has kept his promises and earned his sleep."

7 comments:

Susan said...

Thank you you for posting this, Joe. A truly memorable poem, and an all-time favorite. <3

Joe said...

Susan, I thought you'd like it, especially since you are always asking me to post more Frost poems.

BosGuy said...

This is one of my favorite poems by Frost. I happen to post it every February, although considering the amount of snow Boston received this past weekend, your timing of this post could not be better.

Joe said...

BosGuy, considering we may be getting up to 2' of snow in Vermont at the end of the week, I thought it was appropriate for that too.

naturgesetz said...

Thanks for this, Joe, especially for the part about the circumstances of the poem's composition.

Now I have to check out his "New Hampshire."

BTW, are you familiar with the same poet's "Out, Out—"? The first time I read it, the image of the Vermont mountains at sunset was very engaging — just the sort of landscape I enjoy. Then end was so unexpected. I'm still moved to tears when I read the fith line from the end (line 30 of 23).

Joe said...

I do not know "Out, Out—", naturgesetz, but I will find it and read it. Thanks for telling me about it.

naturgesetz said...

Some analyses say that the setting is Vermont. I think that's wrong. They can see clear into Vermont from New Hampshire is how I've always read it; and today I read that it is based on an actual incident that occurred in or near Littleton, N.H.