Friday, February 4, 2022

Winter Hazards


I’m embarrassed to admit this, but I slipped and fell on the ice again yesterday. This time it wasn’t down my stairs. At least when I fell down the stairs, I landed in snow, and while going down the stairs was still painful, especially hitting my arms trying to grab the railing, the steps were covered in snow and somewhat cushioned my fall. Yesterday, I hit a solid sheet of ice that was on top of our parking area.

I have a set of spikes that fit into he bottom of my shoes, which I thought were in my apartment but when I went to look for them as I was leaving, they weren’t where they should have been, so I knew they were in my car. I was doing my best to be very careful, but all it takes is one misstep and as slippery as the ice was yesterday (it was lightly raining which added to the slipperiness), it was way too easy to misstep.

I’m not in as bad a shape as the guy in the picture above (nothing seemed to be broken), but one butt cheek is pretty sore, since that’s what I landed on. I also hurt my shoulder and neck as I was going down. I’m either going to have to be much more careful or learn how to fall correctly. My poor body just can’t take this crappy winter weather.

9 comments:

BosGuy said...

Oh no, be careful! When I use to walk to work I would regularly wipe out or see someone slip, slide and faceplant. I don't miss those days.

When I lived outside of the city my family had a bucket of sand / salt kept in our garage (its how everyone came in and out of our home in the winter) and we'd grab a handful to sprinkle as we'd walk out. Unsure if you can do that but it works.

Anonymous said...

I ruptured my quadriceps tendon last year by slipping on the ice/snow and falling down just a few steps. Still doing physical therapy. I was always careful and that slip was really a shocker. It can happen to anyone.

Mark B. Wise said...

If you're serious about learning to fall safely, look into a martial art such as judo, jujitsu, aikido, or Systema. Hitting the ground without breaking things is the only skill from those arts that most people ever use in real life.

uvdp said...

Consider having massages done by a gay preferably masseur, it will cheer you up; Morale helps a lot healing .

JiEL said...

These are the hazards of our NORTH AMERICAN winters.
I could suggest you to buy those boots that have some integrated spikes under them and which are retractable too.
So you would never forget your spikes at home.

https://kunitzshoes.ca/spike-boot-collection/

Anonymous said...

Poor Joe, you are having a wretched time at present. I do hope that you find a suitable apartment asap and that the weather improves asap. Take care of yourself. Roderick.

VRCooper said...

Feel better--You are getting too old to fall--You might break a hip---I will bring over binders of men and you can choose your home health aide---The are trained in ALL areas of the home---

Anonymous said...

Time to contact attorney again. It is the owner's responsibility to keep steps and landing free of ice and snow. I would find an extreme rottweiler type. Look out for #1. That's you Joe

Alexander

BosGuy said...

I hope you are feeling better and no longer sore / hurt.