Friday, August 12, 2022

The Weekend

Whenever anyone visits me in Vermont there are two place everyone wants to see: Church Street Marketplace and the Ben and Jerry’s Factory. Church Street Marketplace has been the center of Burlington, Vermont, with its colorful cafes, thriving art scene, and good vibes. A couple of weeks ago, Sweetwaters American Bistro, a staple of Church Street for over 40 years, announced that it would close. Labor Day will be their last day. I’ve always liked Sweetwaters, and I often took visitors to eat there. Since they will only be open a few more weeks, two of my friends and I decided we wanted to have one last dinner there, so we are going tonight. It just so happens that Church Street Marketplace’s annual sidewalk sale is also this weekend. It should be fun to walk around looking at the shops and then having a nice relaxing dinner.

 

Tomorrow, we are going to get together again to go to Cider Fest In Waterbury. It’s taking place at Cold Hollow Cider Mill which makes delicious hard cider and they are famous for their cider donuts. Cider Fest will be celebrating 48 years of Cold Hollow Cider Mill. They bill it as one of the last restful weekends at the Cider Mill before the new crop of apples start coming in. The festivities will include BBQ, hard cider slushies, ten varieties of hard cider, and a large selection of Vermont beers. I am most excited to try the BBQ and the hard cider slushies. My hope is that Prohibition Pig, the best BBQ restaurant in Vermont, which happens to be in Waterbury, will be making the BBQ.

 

It should be a fun weekend. Sunday will be for doing laundry and getting some rest.

6 comments:

naturgesetz said...

Good that you'll be able to get to Sweetwater one last time. It's always unfortunate to lose something good like that.

Enjoy the weekend.

Joe said...

It is sad to lose good places, narugesetz, but I understand the owners reasoning. He said, "I've taken care of people for 41 years. It's time for me to take care of myself." I can't fault him for that. Besides, he decided to sell the space to Pascolo Ristorante, an Italian restaurant also on Church Street. Sweetwaters is a larger space, so Pascolo Ristorante can now expand. It was also announced in a press release that the new owners will "make efforts to retain the current Sweetwaters staff, as well as the Thanksgiving Day Community Dinner in some format." I hope they keep to that promise. I've never eaten at Pascolo Ristorante, but I hope it is as good as Sweetwaters is.

BosGuy said...

Enjoy your weekend. We will be heading to Provincetown for the start of Carnival.
TGIF

Unknown said...

As a recent fan of your blog, I am so excited that you are coming up to Burlington. It is going to be an extraordinary weekend. Make sure you stop by 10,000 Villages on Church St. Great store/Great manager.
I enjoy your insight to literature and poetry.
Thank you for your blog.

Joe said...

Unknown, are you in Burlington? If so, we should get together for coffee or something sometime.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful week you are planning! I have to admit that you make me envious LOL

Ángel