Monday, October 24, 2022

Headache Relief

Today will be filled with medical appointments. This morning, I have my next VYEPTI infusion for my headaches at the hospital. Basically, they will hook me up to an IV, and I will sit there for 30 minutes or so while I receive the medicine. It was mildly helpful last time. It lessened my headaches for about two months, though it didn't help much when there were weather changes. Since I've reached my insurance's out-of-pocket maximum for medical expenses, this won't cost me anything. The last treatment was over $1400. I will have to talk to my neurologist at the Headache Clinic to see if there is any assistance to pay for the treatment. Otherwise, I will have to discontinue it. I am far from wealthy and meeting my out-of-pocket expenses every year is not a feasible option.

After my infusion, I will get lunch and then head to the headache clinic, where I have a follow-up appointment with my neurologist. We will discuss how effective the VYEPTI was, and I will discuss with her the expense of the medication. The Headache Clinic I go to is well-versed in all things headache related, as it should be. If there is a solution for financial assistance, they should know what it is. I wish insurance companies in the United States weren't able to dictate treatments instead of doctors. It's very frustrating when there are mountains of medical bills to pay, even when you have insurance. So please vote for Democrats and Progressives in the general election next Tuesday. We are all (except for the super-wealthy among us, but I am guessing no super-wealthy person reads this little blog) fucked if Republicans gain control of even one chamber of Congress.

After my headache appointment, I will head over to Target to get a few things. I might as well go while I am in New Hampshire. I may even go by HomeGoods, which is one of my favorite stores. I'll probably go home after that. Quite frankly, all of that is enough for one day.

9 comments:

JiEL said...

OMG! In such a wealthy country you cannot provide an universal heath care for ALL your citizens but you put gazillon of dollars in the army or space exploration etc...

I had NO bills to pay when I had a colon surgery on July 21 2017 and since I'm followed by my surgeon every 6 month with scans and colonoscopies and blood tests all this with 0$ to pay.
As I also have diabtese, my personnal doctor is also following me and, again, no charge.
We have universal health care here for decades and since then, no one is going to pay and be bankrupt with health bills.

I have 4 prescriptions meds and I'm on the government meds system. I pay $90/month to purchase them , never more.

naturgesetz said...

That's nice for you, JiEL, but think of the doctors, pharmaceutical companies,and above all the insurance companies. Under your country's system, how can they become fabulously wealthy?

uvdp said...

JiEL : vous m'avez convaincu : je vais me réfugier au Quebec si Poutine nous attaque .

David said...

Surely one look at the guy in the photograph would cure all headaches instantly! At least, mine went away... LOL

BosGuy said...

Hope everything went according to plan and you're okay. I am actually going to try early voting here in Boston. I just returned from a business trip that took me to New Orleans for 4 nights and I will be traveling again on election day so I'm hoping to vote today (not that the Republican party has much of a presence here).

Anonymous said...

The medical Social Security system in Spain is totally free and I sometimes pay 2 euros for my medication, but not always because if in the same month I need more medication then I do not have to pay anything and I go to the doctor when I need it just by making an appointment and in the same week I have already scheduled the consultation, the same if I ask for consultation with the nurse to inject me or make a cure or whatever is within their functions.
I have had knee prosthesis surgery three times and I have not had to pay absolutely nothing for the two weeks of admission, nor the operating room or anything else. The subsequent rehabilitation is also free and also come to my house to pick me up by ambulance throughout the treatment.
The quality of life is to have health to enjoy life and it is much more important than buying pumps or paying for large armies.

Ángel

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say that within this universal and fully free Social Security system, there are really good looking male doctors and nurses!!!!
Some of them are even very affectionate...!!!!!


Ángel

Anonymous said...

David I am happy to see him but I need to be closer and feel his warmth so that he can cure me of any illness.

Ángel

joseph said...

what a smile and fine colours