Wednesday, December 28, 2022

One More Day

One more day and I then I’ll be heading home to see Isabella. My trip has had moments of good and bad, and I just need to get back to my own life. Yesterday, I visited with my aunt and that was nice. I got to see one of my two cats that she kept when I moved to Vermont. Edith allowed me to see her and seemed to recognize me, but Lucy hides from everyone. If I’d stayed and spent the night, Lucy would have heard my voice and came out, but I wasn’t there long enough. My aunt and I went to lunch and then saw some old neighbors and some elderly relatives. 

My aunt is conservative in some ways, but she hates Trump, and even though she’s a huge fan of Auburn football, she thought Tommy Tuberville was too dumb to be elected to the Senate. She’s also liberal on a lot of things that the rest of my family is not. It’s not necessarily that she’s liberal as that she doesn’t judge other people for being happy. Several times she pointed out men she knows and told me about their husbands. One is even an interracial gay couple, and while in most places that wouldn’t be much of an issue, gay and interracial is horror inducing to most people in Alabama. My aunt was very matter of fact about it as if she was talking about a straight couple or anything else. Trust me y’all, this is not the attitude of most Alabamians, but it should be. 

My aunt has always been gay friendly. She’s been a dental assistant for the past 40 years, and back in the 1980s, she worked for a dentist who was gay. He as forced to quit his dental practice when he contracted HIV. He eventually passed away from AIDS. I never heard her say anything disparaging about the fact that he was gay nor that he died of AIDS. My aunt has her faults. We all do, but for the most part, she’s a good-hearted woman who does not discriminate. She only gets upset with people when they are unkind to others. 

She undoubtedly knows I’m gay. We lived together for several years before I moved to Vermont. She also kept most of my books that I couldn’t take to Vermont with me. A lot of them are gay history or gay fiction. There is no mistaking what they are. I’ve never officially come out to her, but I know I could. I’ve just never known how to tell her. I’ve never been good at coming out to people. If I ever get in a serious relationship with a man, she’ll be the first family member to know because I know she’ll be accepting.

Anyway, I’d started out wiring this post planning to talk about how much I wanted to get home to see Isabella. It turned out to be quite different. It happens, but I’m keeping the title and picture I started out with for this post.

2 comments:

naturgesetz said...

That's great about your aunt. I'm glad the visit has been tolerable and even good at times.

joseph said...

Désolé de m'exprimer en français belge mais je ne trouvais pas les mots anglais pour nuancer mes propos mais si comme ta tante je n'appréciais pas du tout Ex Prsdt Trump -le haïr , c'est un être humain donc je ne peux pas - le Président actuel ne me rassure pas du tout ; il me ferait peur plutôt, et cela pour deux raisons : je crains qu'il ait pour désir de réussir là où le Président Obama n'a pas su ou pu, à savoir abattre la Russie mais après avoir vu le documentaire relatant le départ d'Afghanistan des forces US et des ressortissants ciblés par les USA -j'en pleurais presque devant la détresse des habitants - j'ai carrément eu la nausée devant le sourire de Prés J B vantant la réussite de l'opération grâce aux Forces Armées US, des Services de renseignements US et le toutim à l'avenant , ignorant sans doute le désarroi des soldats américains , les victimes exposées des journées durant à la peur et la chaleur, et point culminant l'appel aux Talibans pour permettre l'ouverture des aires de l'aéroport et le départ des avions ! Trop is te veel comme on dit chez nous